Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solar pool pump

1. Back To Top    #1

solar pool pump

I just had a hair brain idea, or maybe not?
    Wonder if I could setup a solar panel system just for my 1hp pool pump. Know I need solar panels, inverter, and batteries to do this. Looking for optional ideas and any help with this idea. How big of solar panels, how many storage batteries, how big of inverter? would it all be worth it (cost effective) over a couple of years or just one good pipe dream?I have 1hp Hayward pump that says 12 amp. max pull.
    12,000 gal. 24' x48"AGP, hayward power-flo lx 1Hp. pump Hayward S244T 24" sand filter system.
    use BBB method and love it!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: solar pool pump

It's generally not worth the expense of adding a solar farm just to run a pool pump.

You will need a 3,000 VA inverter or larger to start your pump. You'll need 2,000 watts of solar panels to run it on a sunny day and more to accomodate cloudy days.

Your best bet is a grid tie system. You can get a 2.3kw grid tie system for about $7,300. The good thing about those systems is that you feed any excess power back to the grid and when you need more than you make the grid feeds you the extra.

Of course if I just used it to run my pool pump the payback would be 15 years if I never ran the pump off the grid.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

There are pool pumps that work directly from the panels, no inverter needed. I think they're called "Badu" or something similar. The pumps are under $1000 and youd need about $800 of solar panels.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

5. Back To Top    #5

Guess I will just pull that hair out of brain and forget that idea. Thanks for the info. Just great to get info like that before I make a major mistake.
    12,000 gal. 24' x48"AGP, hayward power-flo lx 1Hp. pump Hayward S244T 24" sand filter system.
    use BBB method and love it!

6. Back To Top    #6

I am also looking to reduce the energy requirements of my pool pump.

I found this site that has kits that produce over 1 kilowatt per day and
    all you have to do is plug it into the wall like any other appliance.
    I have not tried it but am interested to know if anyone else has experience with
    this product.

it is model PNG200 at plugngen.com

Hope this helps.