Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Liquidator Install Tips?

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquidator Install Tips?

I ordered http://pstpoolsupplies.com/hasa-pool...r-updated.aspx a few days ago and while I'm waiting for it to arrive I thought I would find out from those of you who have The Liquidator, What would you do different if you were to install it a second time? What tips/advice would you give someone who is installing it for the first time? I'm open to any suggestions.
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump
    Liquidator 3/8" upgrade, Hayward Needle Valve
    Useful Links: Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis, Pool School, The Pool Calculator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquidator Install Tips?

The biggest favor you can do for yourself is to take a vacuum pressure reading at the pump basket drain plug. Another thing you can do is post some pics of your equipment. That way we can give location and connection advice.

The best single thing I did was get the 1/4" Hayward needle valve to control the flow out of the LQ.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    The best single thing I did was get the 1/4" Hayward needle valve to control the flow out of the LQ.
    Hey that's a great idea with the needle valve. I am using the standard shut-off valve from usplastics and it gets real hard to fine tune the flow because a small movement in the valve equates to a large change in the flow rate.

Is this the type of needle valve your taking about?
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, that's the one. It works much better than any of the quarter turn valves that I tried, and I tried a few!

I marked the handle so I could count the turns. That way I could go back to the same setting when I needed to shut it off for any reason.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bama, which of these did you use? http://www.pepplastic.com/index.php?...e49bc65be0ae1b The 1/4", 1/2", or 3/8"? Never mind I see that you used the 1/4", Duh! I should pay more attention sometimes.

Also what connectors do I need to use the needle valve instead of the supplied valve?

I will take photos of my equipment this evening when I get home from work.

What type of gauge do I need to check the pressure at the pump basket? A link would be appreciated. Is it a standard psi gauge like on the filter?
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump
    Useful Links: Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis, Pool School, The Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

This might be a cheaper alternative than the Hayward valve (currently out of stock though).
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by EastKYGuy
    Also what connectors do I need to use the needle valve instead of the supplied valve?
    Had the same question...wonder if they may have the shark bite type ends...just push in good to go.

Bama should be along soon...

Bo
    Thanks all for your amazingly helpful advice! Bo

18x33 Morada pool, 14,100 Gal - 2HP, 2SPD W/Skimmer and Caplet Basket, 125 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System – 8 Gal LQ - TF-100.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

God Bless America!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, lets see if I can answer some of these!

EastKyGuy & Bo ~~ The fittings are male threaded Speed-Fit like These. Part # 58333, 3/8" tubing to 1/4" MNPT.

EastKyGuy ~~ You need a vacuum gauge to measure the suction pressure. Like a automotive vacuum gauge. Don't worry about getting one if you don't already have one available. You'll probably never use it for anything else.

Flyboy ~~ I tried the valves you linked to, and while they are better than the quarter-turn valves, the plug (cause its not really a needle) is pretty abrupt at a point, so the adjustment isn't nearly as fine as the Hayward.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Bama, are you concerned there might not be suction at a given point, or too much? I winged it on mine, installed the feed line at the PVC right at the pump, and it seems to work fine.

I will say this, don't freak out if you see bubbles in the feed line, it doesn't seem to be putting air in my system.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Baka, how do you connect the tubing to the Hayward valve?

11. Back To Top    #11

it appears the fittings that come with the liquidator will fit that valve.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Those SpeedFit adapters I linked to in the above post. The thread into the valve and the tubing slips in the fitting.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Holy moly...just priced them!

Imma gonna give the ones in the kit a chance...if i have any issues i'll bite the bullet and get the Hayward ones.

Thanks...Bo
    Thanks all for your amazingly helpful advice! Bo

18x33 Morada pool, 14,100 Gal - 2HP, 2SPD W/Skimmer and Caplet Basket, 125 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System – 8 Gal LQ - TF-100.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

God Bless America!

14. Back To Top    #14

The valves right? Yeah, they're pretty expensive. The cheapest place I've found is them (outside Ebay of course) is DrillSpot.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... rchresults

Just want to be sure this is the right valve before I spend 50 bucks on it? It's the Hayward 1/4" PVC NPV Series Neddle Valve.
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump

16. Back To Top    #16

15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks Carlspan.

As Requested here is my set up.

The ground around my equipment is pretty wet at the moment. We are having some serious rain here + I went to clean the pump basket and forgot to turn off the valve, Oops!
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump

18. Back To Top    #18

There is a Jandy 3 way valve behind the filter in this pic. It splits the return into two, one is the standard AGP return; the other is an additonal return for a sweeper and circulation about 70 degree around to the left of the filter
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump

19. Back To Top    #19

The LQ outlet can go right before the pump suction and the inlet can go anywhere after the filter. I'd put it between the filter and the Jandy valve.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Thanks Bama. Can I put the outlet side in the pump basket drain plug like I've seen suggested here before or do I get better flow by putting it on the pipes?
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast