Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy Spa Light Will Not Stay Lit

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy Spa Light Will Not Stay Lit

I have a Jandy colored spa light (water colors model maybe?) that will turn on for maybe 5 minutes and then shut off.

I have a pool light connected in parallel to this light and it works fine. Therefore, I know it's not a relay issue, a wiring issue, breaker issue, etc. I have double checked everything with a meter and also double checked my connections. Everything appears to be OK. The light worked flawlessly all last summer. On the last day of the season, the light went out after about 3 hours of use that evening. When I reopened this year, the light turns on, stays lit for 5 minutes, then shuts off. If I leave the light off for 10 minutes, I can get the light to come back on again.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Is there a fix? I am really hoping I don't have to replace this light (a la $500 smackeroos!).

Doug

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy Spa Light Will Not Stay Lit

I'm no Jandy Spa Light technician - but it sounds like it is overheating and has some sort of protection circuit. It's an LED fixture yes? I work with a lot of LED stuff in my industry and these kinds of auto-reset thermal protection circuits are fairly common.

I wouldn't think it's anything simple to fix with your wiring.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

These lights appear to be 120volt. The pool is around 10-12 years old (just bought the house last year) so I'm unsure on the age of most of the equipment.

I too thought it could be overheating, but I'm not sure. I guess I will have to pull the light out of the niche and see what I can find. Either way, I have to say Jandy was of little help when I called them. They offer no support for repair of their lights. If it doesn't work, they just said to replace it. Weird huh?

Doug

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by lightingguy
    I'm no Jandy Spa Light technician - but it sounds like it is overheating and has some sort of protection circuit. It's an LED fixture yes? I work with a lot of LED stuff in my industry and these kinds of auto-reset thermal protection circuits are fairly common.

I wouldn't think it's anything simple to fix with your wiring.
    I had this problem with the SAM in my pond... had to replace it.
    ~45Kg Pool with attached Spa, NSP-72 DE, Minmax 400 Heater, Tahoe Blue Pebbletech, Jandy SWG via Aqualink RS-8, The Pool Cleaner (black)
    Pumps: X3 Hybrid Pump (switches to SPA), 2HP Spa (additional, when SPA is on), and a 1HP For Waterfall
    8, 4x12 Solar Panels on the roof of the pool-house (~12' up)
    CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK: "I'M SORRY. I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF HOW AWESOME I AM" (Thanks to TFP!)

5. Back To Top    #5

Well I should probably update title in this thread.... I pulled the light today after work. First of all, the light is not a Jandy but a Pentair. The previous owner had Jandy EVERYTHING but the pool light was a Pentair - go figure?

Anyway, it's the SAL light by Pentair.... model #640001. It's a 120v light but it uses the 12v bulbs inside. I found one bulb burned out, but I put another bulb in temporarily to try the light out. I got the light to work once in the 3 hours that I messed with it. I took my meter and got the correct voltage on 3 out of the 4 sockets, but again, the light would not light up. I tried the bulbs in my home lighting system and they lit up fine. My guess is that even though the unit was putting out 12 volts at the socket base, there wasn't enough amperage to light the bulb. My meter does not test amperage high enough to take a reading. I pulled the whole light out from the conduit. I suppose it's dead. ****, one more expenditure this year.

Can anyone hook me up with some discounted pricing on this light? Cheapest I found online was $360 shipped.

Doug

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I wouldnt put a Sam back in, put in an Intellibrite LED. Much better, and will last 10+ years.

7. Back To Top    #7

The light is a SAL, not a SAM. It doesn't have a color wheel, just 4 bulbs inside.

I looked into the intellibrite model, but my thought was that if the leds burned out on that model, they were much more expensive to replace vs. the bulbs in the SAL.

Thoughts?

Doug

8. Back To Top    #8

LEDs last a really long time, bulbs burn out relatively frequently.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

A Sal light is a color wheel light for a spa. Are you saying there is no color wheel inside?

The led's are rated for 35, to 40,000 hours.
    So 4 hours a day x 365 days x 25 years=36,500.00
    I dont think you will be changing the LED's any time soon.

I run mine 7 to 8 hours a night, and I am over 5 years, no issues.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    LEDs last a really long time, bulbs burn out relatively frequently.
    Very true.

Doug

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Just-a-PB
    A Sal light is a color wheel light for a spa. Are you saying there is no color wheel inside?

The led's are rated for 35, to 40,000 hours.
    So 4 hours a day x 365 days x 25 years=36,500.00
    I dont think you will be changing the LED's any time soon.

I run mine 7 to 8 hours a night, and I am over 5 years, no issues.
    The SAM lights use a color wheel that actually spins to choose which color is displayed. The SAL lights use a stationary wheel and 4 different lights to produce the colors displayed (I believe this to be correct anyway).

Doug

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

I have never taken one apart, I assumed they were the same.
    Either way it is old technology, and I am suprised they are still making them.

13. Back To Top    #13

Well I took everyone's advice. I purchased a Penntair Intellibrite for the spa for $399 plus shipping.

If it fails for some reason, you guys need to help with the light engine replacement bill! lol

Thanks again everyone!

Doug

Edit - Get this.... I called the local pool supply place near me. They are basically a supply house for installers only, except that at this location, they still have the original retail store that started the chain. Anyway, I called for pricing on the light. They wanted $789 for the light! I asked if they could match pricing because I'd rather give the business to the local company. They asked the price and I told them. They said there is no way in **** they could get it at that price. So I responded that I'm sure if I can get the light at $399 and there is markup in that price, that means the local supplier is over 100% markup! I said I know you have some room to move, can't you do any better on the price? He goes well I can do better... the best I can do is $745! Ridiculous. Mind you, one of my buddies has a pool business, so I asked him to get pricing for me. His cost with no markup was around $550. Amazing isn't it? Now the intriguing thing is, this same local company is typically cheaper for most chemicals and most pool equipment parts. They usually have most items in stock too. You would figure a company that does such high volume in business would be able to pass more savings onto the consumer? Such is economics I guess....

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

My cost is about $380 for a 50' cord. Different people get different pricing. All about volume.
    Many of the online companies sell for cost, and make their money in the kickbacks and programs.
    $745 is ridiculous.

15. Back To Top    #15

Update - I installed the intellibrite light and I have to say so far I am really impressed. The light is very very rich in color compared to the older style. It's very bright as well.

I'll have to see how it performs long term.

Doug

16. Back To Top    #16

Congratulations
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

Hi folks, I don't know if this will help anyone, but I found an easy fix today with the help of a pool tech. The problem I had been having with my colored lights (about three years old) is that no matter what color I selected, the white light would go on, then off, and the lights would stay dark - no color. I called the technician at my pool company, and he said that sometimes with the Jandy lights, if there has been any kind of power outage or flicker, the light controller can become "confused" and be unable to activate the colored lights. The fix for this? Turn on the color light function, select "color splash" and let that cycle for a few minutes. Apparently, Jandy build in a "reset" for the brain behind the lights, and activating "color splash" triggers that reset (kind of like rebooting a computer). I tried it, and it works like a charm - all of my color lights now work fine. Hope this helps.

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by peteharned View Post
    Hi folks, I don't know if this will help anyone, but I found an easy fix today with the help of a pool tech. The problem I had been having with my colored lights (about three years old) is that no matter what color I selected, the white light would go on, then off, and the lights would stay dark - no color. I called the technician at my pool company, and he said that sometimes with the Jandy lights, if there has been any kind of power outage or flicker, the light controller can become "confused" and be unable to activate the colored lights. The fix for this? Turn on the color light function, select "color splash" and let that cycle for a few minutes. Apparently, Jandy build in a "reset" for the brain behind the lights, and activating "color splash" triggers that reset (kind of like rebooting a computer). I tried it, and it works like a charm - all of my color lights now work fine. Hope this helps.
    This sounds just like the problem I am having, spa light is totally dim, looked like it almost lost the green colors, now they are all dim.

I only have

"Slow Splash"
    &
    "Fast Splash" as options, and that doesn't seem to be resetting it, any ideas from anyone?