Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Please Help - Oil in Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Please Help - Oil in Pool

Hello there!

I accidentally put about a 1Qt of vegetable oil into our 30K gallon gunite pool. Worse than that, thinking the filter would take care of it, we left it. Now our pool is GREEN. I've done a little research and read that I should treat it with 6X the normal dose of enzymes. Is this a good plan? Should I treat with an algeside first? What is the best product for enzyme treatment? It gets worse with each passing day. Any advise you can offer will be helpful.

Thanks!
    30,000 gal inground pool with attached waterfall spa.
    60 sq ft American Titan (Pentair) DE filter with no backwash.
    Not sure about the pump.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Please Help - Oil in Pool

Please post a complete set of test results. I believe the green in your pool is more coincidence than a result of having 1 qt of vegetable oil in the pool. I would hold off on enzymes for now, you should be able to take care of this by taking the pool through the shock process as described here, how to shock your pool
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

We've cleared much worse than vegetable oil. At least it's a natural product and non toxic Since the pool is green, we'll need a full set of test results to help you out, but getting the water to shock level should be priority #1. Hopefully a few folks will comment soon on specific products that work for skimming/clearing veg oil.

A product like this may work, but I have no experience with it...sorry
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Extra enzyme treatment will definitely help with the oil, but as others have already said, the green pool has little if anything to do with the oil.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, we thought the algae was feeding off of the oil. It was fine until I dropped oil into it. I'll shock it and go from there. Thank you!!
    Not sure about the pump.

6. Back To Top    #6

Jack up the CL to shock level to kill of the algae - that's likely the easiest one to resolve. Once that starts to clear up, you can deal with oil with Pool First Aid (enzyme). Two treatments (half bottle each) helped clear out a situation similar to yours as well as the one I had . That last link also has the ratio of dishwasher detergent/water if you have a cartridge filter that may need cleaning.
    14'x30' (est. 14K gal) w/spillover spa (est. 500 gal) - 1995 // Diamond Brite Blue Quartz - 2006
    Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15 - 2013 // Zodiac MX-8 - 2013
    Plain ol' Intermatic mechanical timer // Pump: 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo - 2012
    Filter: Hayward C17502(S) Cartridge Filter - 2011 // Heat Pump: Sunrunner/Aquapro 1300 (127K BTU) - 2011

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for your help. We shocked it and then treated with the regular dose of the Pool First Aid and it's good. We had to clean the filter a gazillion times, but it's up and running and soon to be balanced. Thanks again!
    Not sure about the pump.