Please Help - Oil in Pool

Aug 16, 2010
Hello there!

I accidentally put about a 1Qt of vegetable oil into our 30K gallon gunite pool. Worse than that, thinking the filter would take care of it, we left it. Now our pool is GREEN. I've done a little research and read that I should treat it with 6X the normal dose of enzymes. Is this a good plan? Should I treat with an algeside first? What is the best product for enzyme treatment? It gets worse with each passing day. Any advise you can offer will be helpful.

Thanks!

Please post a complete set of test results. I believe the green in your pool is more coincidence than a result of having 1 qt of vegetable oil in the pool. I would hold off on enzymes for now, you should be able to take care of this by taking the pool through the shock process as described here, how to shock your pool

We've cleared much worse than vegetable oil. At least it's a natural product and non toxic :goodjob: Since the pool is green, we'll need a full set of test results to help you out, but getting the water to shock level should be priority #1. Hopefully a few folks will comment soon on specific products that work for skimming/clearing veg oil.

A product like this may work, but I have no experience with it...sorry :cry:

Thanks for your help. We shocked it and then treated with the regular dose of the Pool First Aid and it's good. We had to clean the filter a gazillion times, but it's up and running and soon to be balanced. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.