Problems lowering TA

steve_h

Bronze Supporter
Aug 9, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
Pool test results:
Temp 77
FC 11 (coming down from the pool being shocked)
CC 0
TC 11
pH 7.2
TA 130
CH 100
CYA 55

I am attempting to lower the TA to the 60-80 range. I add acid to pH =7.0 and aerate.
I just built the super aerator (as seen in Pool School) from PVC and aerated most of yesterday.
Before building the super aerator I used the fountain.

Yesterday, the TA only came down 10.

Should I wait until the pH is higher before trying to lower pH and aerating?
Am I being impatient?

Any ideas,

Thanks,

Takes a long time to aerate 27,000 gals :lol: Keep the aeration goin 24/7 id possible and once, PH rises to around 7.4 to 7.6, lower PH to 7.0. Repeat as needed.

Are you experiencing frequent PH rise, if not lowering TA to 60-70 is not crucial. It's recommended in pools where frequent PH rise is a problem, but if your pool is happy with TA of 100, just keep an eye on PH :goodjob:

thanks for that answer...I keep thinking I have to have ALL the parameters to the stated target level. I fear having a problem with lowering TA in our new pool too (it's at 110). I'm kind of black and white with rules--so this eases my conscience! I believe I will have a pH rise regardless with new plaster for the first year...is that correct?

If you add acid to lower the pH from 7.2 to 7.0, the process will go faster. You can see from this chart that the amount of over-carbonation in the pool goes up dramatically at lower pH as does the rate of carbon dioxide outgassing. So if you can add acid more frequently keeping the pH low, that will make the entire process go more quickly. If you wait to add acid until the pH gets up to 7.4 or higher, the process will take longer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.