Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problems lowering TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Problems lowering TA

Pool test results:
    Temp 77
    FC 11 (coming down from the pool being shocked)
    CC 0
    TC 11
    pH 7.2
    TA 130
    CH 100
    CYA 55

I am attempting to lower the TA to the 60-80 range. I add acid to pH =7.0 and aerate.
    I just built the super aerator (as seen in Pool School) from PVC and aerated most of yesterday.
    Before building the super aerator I used the fountain.

Yesterday, the TA only came down 10.

Should I wait until the pH is higher before trying to lower pH and aerating?
    Am I being impatient?

Any ideas,

Thanks,
    Steve
    27,000 gal Vinyl Grecian L, Hayward 1 HP pump, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Rite Chlorinator,
    Polaris P955, TF-100, Speed Stir, 400sqft solar panels.
    Jacuzzi J365

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Problems lowering TA

Takes a long time to aerate 27,000 gals Keep the aeration goin 24/7 id possible and once, PH rises to around 7.4 to 7.6, lower PH to 7.0. Repeat as needed.

Are you experiencing frequent PH rise, if not lowering TA to 60-70 is not crucial. It's recommended in pools where frequent PH rise is a problem, but if your pool is happy with TA of 100, just keep an eye on PH
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks for that answer...I keep thinking I have to have ALL the parameters to the stated target level. I fear having a problem with lowering TA in our new pool too (it's at 110). I'm kind of black and white with rules--so this eases my conscience! I believe I will have a pH rise regardless with new plaster for the first year...is that correct?
    Cheers!
    ~Julie

30K gunite pool, Pentair VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 520 Cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG, automatic cover, Intellibrite Pentair LED light, no heater.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the info.

All of the returns are blocked and the super aerator is installed. The timer is set for 24/7.

Guess I was just being impatient.
    We'll see what happens

Thanks,
    Steve
    27,000 gal Vinyl Grecian L, Hayward 1 HP pump, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Rite Chlorinator,
    Polaris P955, TF-100, Speed Stir, 400sqft solar panels.
    Jacuzzi J365

5. Back To Top    #5

If you add acid to lower the pH from 7.2 to 7.0, the process will go faster. You can see from this chart that the amount of over-carbonation in the pool goes up dramatically at lower pH as does the rate of carbon dioxide outgassing. So if you can add acid more frequently keeping the pH low, that will make the entire process go more quickly. If you wait to add acid until the pH gets up to 7.4 or higher, the process will take longer.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"