Pool Floor (what to use)

Apr 20, 2011
Hi- I know a person can purchase a gorilla pad, foam board, use sand for the floor base of a pool, but what else can be used? We will be installing a 27 foot (52inch deep) Round pool and are wanting to look at all the options. We did sand with our intex pool and had a difficult time avoiding the foot prints. The gorilla pad seems expensive and I am not sure about the foam board I have heard about... I have no idea. I am just wondering if anyone can share other alternatives and what they did.

We are having top soil brought in to level the ground because we have some sloping. The ground cover (or pool floor base whatever it is called) is to protect the liner and prevent nutgrass and weeds, right? I do plan to purchase the pool cove to avoid having to do the cove with sand. (sigh) I am trying to stay within reason regarding price and just wondering if there are other alternatives I haven't read about.

Any thoughts? Oh! And we do live in Northern Michigan and we do get a lot of snow. I am not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight that is given :mrgreen:

~Dneil (pool-stupid)

Instead of sand I used Vermiculite pool base under my ABG pool with the foam cove pads. (family had allot left over after their pool install)

(someone correct me if i am wrong) instead of building up the dirt to level your pool bottom, most manufactures recommend taking dirt out to level, i think this is more true to reduce settling.

mrnick0483 said:
(someone correct me if i am wrong) instead of building up the dirt to level your pool bottom, most manufactures recommend taking dirt out to level, i think this is more true to reduce settling.

+1...bringing in soil to level out the area is a bad idea.

I will post pictures tomorrow and show you guys what we are dealing with. He wont put the pool where I want it... maybe this will be the reason why he has to :) The land slopes and if I go from the lowest level then I am going to have a wall of land... if I put it on the lowest portion of our land that is level, then I will have water running toward the pool when it rains.... I will just post some pictures and show you guys. Maybe someone will have some ideas or suggestions.

Our last pool was actually put up over beach sand that we had brought in. But I want this one done right since it wont be taken down every year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.