New to Site - Cloudy Water

JasonLion said:
I strongly recommend getting a real CYA test, and not using test strips. Test strips have problem at the best of times, and are especially bad at measuring the CYA level. Getting a top quality test kit is well worth the money.

Ditto :goodjob: Investing in a TF100 (link in my sig) or the taylor k2006, will go a long way in getting you back on track. The amount you save on gas alone and getting to the pool store will make the kit worth it :lol:

Remember cold water sinks, so if your fill water is colder than your pool water (such as from a well in the summer time) it will sink, so you would want to remove the old water from the skimmer if it is warmer than the fill water. Conversely if the fill water is warmer you would want to drain from the bottom.

Ike

Things are looking up today, I can clearly see the bottom in the deep end! Now I can do more vacuuming, I can see what I am doing. It's pretty clean, just some organics on the bottom. The next step will be to clear up the stains. I did the vitamin C test on a small spot on a step, and it removed the stain, so now I need to find the thread on how to remove stains.

If your CYA is still as high as you say it is you are only placing a bandaid over your real problem. I would highly suggest you go ahead and bite the bullet and drain some water. You will save the money on chlorine in the long run.

All clear here. Took a little longer than I thought it might, but we are in good shape. Now I just need to work on some stains and we are good. Hopefully my test kit will arrive today so I can check my CYA levels.

On an unrelated note, we have always used the pool store chemicals to do our pool. My wife has expressed concerns about swimming in a pool that has "bleach" in it. I tell her, chlorine is chlorine, weather it comes from a tablet or from a bottle, but she is skeptical. Any good reasoning I can use (other than cost).

I like the clorox link and if that does not work, just say OK fine, I will then just use liquid chlorine from the pool store...same stuff other than one is 10 or 12% Bleach and the other is 6% :lol:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.