North Texas/DFW TFP'ers - To close or not to close???

TFPJules111

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 16, 2007
Denton, TX
Hi all,

This is my first winter with a pool (also first winter in the DFW area).

Can any locals chime in on your pool closing / winter maintenance procedures?

I'm thinking it's mild enough around here to not close & just run the pump when temps drop close to freezing?

We're still swimming, since day temps have been around 90 and the pool hasn't dropped below 82 or so.

Hoping to go as long as I can :-D

Those of you in the area without pool heaters, what's the latest you've been in the pool and what was the water temp?

Hi TFPJules111,

I noticed that you are from Denton. I am in Corinth, I have had a pool for the last 10 years( currently building a new one) in this area and I can tell you that I never closed our pool. I always just let it run and let it kick on when the temps dropped close to freezing. The main reason I did this is I had an attached SPA, so we used it through the winter. This year I will probably just leave it on, but change the run times to be at night when the temps are low, that way its not always running.

Hope that helps!

Jim

Not too far from you guys down here in Carrollton. We too have an attached spa that we plan on using all winter. Pool will be open year round. Have a freeze sensor that will kick on pump if needed and I will run pump as needed. Will take skimmer socks off the baskets when leaves start falling heavily.

Jim, your "under construction" pool sounds awesome!

Thank you both for your input - I don't have a spa, but I think I'll keep it open and see how it goes.

Jim - Your pool build looks AMAZING. I've followed the progress on your gallery site. Good luck with getting it finished!

Last year was our first winter with a pool. Didn't close it. Freeze guard kicked on a few times during our cold snap. Pump/filter can run less as well. From 8 hours a day down to 4.

sammm said:
Last year was our first winter with a pool. Didn't close it. Freeze guard kicked on a few times during our cold snap. Pump/filter can run less as well. From 8 hours a day down to 4.

That's exactly what we did...our pool is a large fixture in the back yard, with no kids and locked fences we didn't worry about covering it or closing it (+ it still looks nice for fall parties!)

I cut it down to about 4 hours a day myself and will probably get a freeze guard this year after our nasty winter last year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.