DE grid replacement Unicel vs Filbur

jblizzle

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
So, a couple weeks ago when I took my Hayward 6020 apart, I noticed a couple little tears and on of the slotted pipes was broken. Actually when we moved into the house 2 years ago, I noticed that all the grids seems a little smashed and more brittle than the ones I had at my old house. Not sure how old this filter is, but the grids in the filter I bought in 2001 seemed of better quality than these. I put it back together to see how bad things were and definitely noticed DE and dirt being blown back into the pool

I was going to switch to a sand filter, but then discovered that the replacement grids were less expensive than I thought. I found online mention of 2 brands of replacement grids ... Filbur and Unicell ... and of course each states that theirs are the best for reasons blah blah blah.

Anyone have an pluses/minuses/recommendations between these replacement grids?

Thanks.

I kind of figured as much. Ordered the Unicell and hope to be able to install them this weekend.

At least that will eliminate the DE from the pool and remove it as a possible source of skin irritation.

Hey jbizzle, I realize this is an older thread, but how'd your Unicel's work out? I *just* bought Unicel's for my Hayward 6020 too and am about to install them, and am just wondering what kind of longevity they might have. (And do you know how long your average Hayward filter grids typically last, for comparison?)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.