Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: DE grid replacement Unicel vs Filbur

1. Back To Top    #1

DE grid replacement Unicel vs Filbur

So, a couple weeks ago when I took my Hayward 6020 apart, I noticed a couple little tears and on of the slotted pipes was broken. Actually when we moved into the house 2 years ago, I noticed that all the grids seems a little smashed and more brittle than the ones I had at my old house. Not sure how old this filter is, but the grids in the filter I bought in 2001 seemed of better quality than these. I put it back together to see how bad things were and definitely noticed DE and dirt being blown back into the pool

I was going to switch to a sand filter, but then discovered that the replacement grids were less expensive than I thought. I found online mention of 2 brands of replacement grids ... Filbur and Unicell ... and of course each states that theirs are the best for reasons blah blah blah.

Anyone have an pluses/minuses/recommendations between these replacement grids?

Thanks.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: DE grid replacement Unicel vs Filbur

Not sure, but I doubt there's a whole lot of difference between them.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

They are nearly identical, no obvious differences in practice.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I kind of figured as much. Ordered the Unicell and hope to be able to install them this weekend.

At least that will eliminate the DE from the pool and remove it as a possible source of skin irritation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey jbizzle, I realize this is an older thread, but how'd your Unicel's work out? I *just* bought Unicel's for my Hayward 6020 too and am about to install them, and am just wondering what kind of longevity they might have. (And do you know how long your average Hayward filter grids typically last, for comparison?)
    Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley)
    15k gallon in-ground (IG) pool (I believe it's plaster)
    DE filter (Heyward), using cellulose instead of DE
    Jandy APURE1400 3-port salt cell

6. Back To Top    #6

Seem to be working fine, still look new when I clean them. I think any brand should last a long long time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator