Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

  1. Back To Top    #1
    cubbybeave08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    890

    Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    This will be my fourth season third opening, and it is by far the latest I have opened my pool. The weather just will not cooperate. I was going to open it this past weekend, but my father fell down the basement steps and broke his arm and ribs and a vertebrae in his neck ( not serious though) and has been in intensive care all weekend. Is anyone one else haveing just a complete weather meltdown because they can't open their pool.

    GOD KNOWS I AM!!!

    Good news is that Dad is doing much better even if the weather is not! He is one lucky man! Thank God!
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

  2. Back To Top    #2
    linda1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Western Pa.
    Posts
    295

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Hope your Dad continues to improve.
    Our weather has been terrible. At the end of last season my husband took the pump, filter and heater off and put them in garage. He had very good intentions and planned on hard plumbing everything plus installing the solar panels that are sitting in the garage this spring. Weather just hasn't allowed it. Now he is having surgery this week so he did a quick hook up of the pump and filter for me. We also have a pile of lumber for a deck. I bet nothing else gets done this year.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

  3. Back To Top    #3
    dorpo75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    256

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Hope your husband has a quick recovery and glad the dad is doing better. our dad just had a triple by-pass and he is going to be 81. so far, so good. anyway...

    OUR WEATHER BITES. cold. windy. rainy. did I mention cold and oh yes, RAINING?

    Can't get anything started on the pool, haven't even uncovered it d/t the cold and wet outside. We had record breaking snowfall for our area in Ohio and now April is the wettest April in recorded history for our area. Nice.

    NOT.

    I'm feelin' your pain.
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

  4. Back To Top    #4
    cubbybeave08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    890

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Quote Originally Posted by dorpo75
    Hope your husband has a quick recovery and glad the dad is doing better. our dad just had a triple by-pass and he is going to be 81. so far, so good. anyway...

    OUR WEATHER BITES. cold. windy. rainy. did I mention cold and oh yes, RAINING?

    Can't get anything started on the pool, haven't even uncovered it d/t the cold and wet outside. We had record breaking snowfall for our area in Ohio and now April is the wettest April in recorded history for our area. Nice.

    NOT.

    I'm feelin' your pain.

    I just want to look at blue sparkly water again. Not the black yucky water on the cover. Tired or winter. Had enough. Best wishes to your family members too. My dad is strong...He'll be fine.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

  5. Back To Top    #5
    frustratedpoolmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    Posts
    11,965

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Sorry to hear about your Dad Beave.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

  6. Back To Top    #6
    cubbybeave08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    890

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Sorry to hear about your Dad Beave.
    Thanks Ann,
    He's doing much better. Still it was pretty scarey seeing him at the bottom of the stairs like that.
    Beave
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Parker County, Texas
    Posts
    27

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Glad your dad is not hurt any worse and is better.
    I myself have fences I HAVE to get put up for our goats that we should be getting in the next few weeks. Then we got rain this week when I was going to re-set the pool PLUS I'm still waiting on several key parts to the pool. Now I have to have my tonsils and adenoids removed plus my nose re-broken, straightened and the deviated septum in my nose fixed in a few weeks. I at least hope to get the pool up and going for my wife and kids since I won't be swimming until next month.
    Intex 16x48" Easy Set metal frame pool filtered by a Hayward 1.5hp PowerFlo Matrix pump with Pro series sand filter. It's a work in progress so my saltwater system and complete PVC plumbing is in the future.
    LED pool light for nighttime fun!

  8. Back To Top    #8
    Cherie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Wylie, Texas
    Posts
    506

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Glad to hear that your dad is doing better. My dad just skirted colon cancer (thank the good Lord!), but still must have surgery to take out the bad part. He's 73 and not in the best of health as it is. But we know he'll be fine once he's all healed up.

    As for our pool, the water was at 86 and we were biting at the bits to get in - but didn't have time to clean the wedding cake steps, which ended up with algae inside because we got very, very lazy at the end of last season. THEN, the rain came around, a couple of cool fronts snuck in and it hasn't stopped long enough to make any headway! It will be late May again this year...
    32x16 buried Doughboy, 4' shallow - 7' deep
    Pentair Dynamo 1 hp, 2-speed - Pentair 150# SD40 w/zeolite (75#)
    One skimmer/two returns/Aquabot Turbo T2

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Mod Squad zea3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    9,199

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Quote Originally Posted by Haulinbass02
    Glad your dad is not hurt any worse and is better.
    I myself have fences I HAVE to get put up for our goats that we should be getting in the next few weeks. Then we got rain this week when I was going to re-set the pool PLUS I'm still waiting on several key parts to the pool. Now I have to have my tonsils and adenoids removed plus my nose re-broken, straightened and the deviated septum in my nose fixed in a few weeks. I at least hope to get the pool up and going for my wife and kids since I won't be swimming until next month.
    Get yourself several packages of frozen peas and keep them in the freezer to use as ice packs after the surgery. They will conform nicely to the shape of your face and neck and can be re-frozen multiple times. My 21 yr old son (the voice major) had his tonsils out last summer and the frozen peas where very helpful to ease the pain the 1st week after surgery.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Parker County, Texas
    Posts
    27

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Good info, will get my wife to buy some (if we don't have any already) and keep around. Anything to ease the swelling and pain I will welcome!
    Intex 16x48" Easy Set metal frame pool filtered by a Hayward 1.5hp PowerFlo Matrix pump with Pro series sand filter. It's a work in progress so my saltwater system and complete PVC plumbing is in the future.
    LED pool light for nighttime fun!

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Totally with you on the pool opening delay. This will be the 5th time I've tried to open the pool, only to shut it down again. Leaks, flooding, cold, leaks, flooding, cold. There's been so much rain I'm considering adding bleach to the vegetable garden and swimming there this year
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16K Gal in-ground Vinyl, Sand Dollar sand filter, Haywood pump

  12. Back To Top    #12
    cubbybeave08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    890

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Quote Originally Posted by Haulinbass02
    Glad your dad is not hurt any worse and is better.
    I myself have fences I HAVE to get put up for our goats that we should be getting in the next few weeks. Then we got rain this week when I was going to re-set the pool PLUS I'm still waiting on several key parts to the pool. Now I have to have my tonsils and adenoids removed plus my nose re-broken, straightened and the deviated septum in my nose fixed in a few weeks. I at least hope to get the pool up and going for my wife and kids since I won't be swimming until next month.

    Goats...you starting an ARK or something...remember two of each species male and female...No unicorns!
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    lebanon tn
    Posts
    370

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Quote Originally Posted by Haulinbass02
    Good info, will get my wife to buy some (if we don't have any already) and keep around. Anything to ease the swelling and pain I will welcome!
    Drugs- really good drugs!

    Seriously, after my elbow was operated on, I was on vicadin for about 3 days, and lots of beer after that; occasional use of NSAID (motrin and similar Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug). Mostly just relax, don't let the blood pressure get up, and take it easy a few days...
    Good luck!
    24ft x 52in AGP 18000 gal
    sand filter, 200#,1.5 hp single speed pump
    Wood deck (still in progress...)

  14. Back To Top    #14
    cubbybeave08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    890

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Quote Originally Posted by Cherie
    Glad to hear that your dad is doing better. My dad just skirted colon cancer (thank the good Lord!), but still must have surgery to take out the bad part. He's 73 and not in the best of health as it is. But we know he'll be fine once he's all healed up.

    As for our pool, the water was at 86 and we were biting at the bits to get in - but didn't have time to clean the wedding cake steps, which ended up with algae inside because we got very, very lazy at the end of last season. THEN, the rain came around, a couple of cool fronts snuck in and it hasn't stopped long enough to make any headway! It will be late May again this year...

    Hey Cherie, it sounds like our 73 year olds were very lucky...Don't you guys need some rain down there?
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Parker County, Texas
    Posts
    27

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Quote Originally Posted by cubbybeave08
    Quote Originally Posted by Haulinbass02
    Glad your dad is not hurt any worse and is better.
    I myself have fences I HAVE to get put up for our goats that we should be getting in the next few weeks. Then we got rain this week when I was going to re-set the pool PLUS I'm still waiting on several key parts to the pool. Now I have to have my tonsils and adenoids removed plus my nose re-broken, straightened and the deviated septum in my nose fixed in a few weeks. I at least hope to get the pool up and going for my wife and kids since I won't be swimming until next month.

    Goats...you starting an ARK or something...remember two of each species male and female...No unicorns!
    Need something to control the brush. If not, then that means I have to which means less time in the pool!!!!!
    Intex 16x48" Easy Set metal frame pool filtered by a Hayward 1.5hp PowerFlo Matrix pump with Pro series sand filter. It's a work in progress so my saltwater system and complete PVC plumbing is in the future.
    LED pool light for nighttime fun!

  16. Back To Top    #16
    cubbybeave08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    890

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Well, I finally got it open on Friday, before the Cold Front came through. It hasn't been warmer than 55 degrees since then. I haven't seen the sun since then. I was so cold last night after starting up the pump and making sure it didn't leak and testing the water and making sure that I had the return in the right direction, that I couldn't get warm again.

    SHOW ME SOME SUNSHINE!!!
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

  17. Back To Top    #17
    dmanb2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,728

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Tell me about it...I just put the leaf net over the solar cover to keep all those tree swirlies (have no clue what they are actually called) from falling in the pool. The good news is that my CH has fallen to below 200 while my fill water CH is 350+, but the pool water is only 60 deg
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

    Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

  18. Back To Top    #18
    cubbybeave08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    890

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    Tell me about it...I just put the leaf net over the solar cover to keep all those tree swirlies (have no clue what they are actually called) from falling in the pool. The good news is that my CH has fallen to below 200 while my fill water CH is 350+, but the pool water is only 60 deg

    Dman...the thing that makes me angry is that on Friday we had a week of upper 80s and low 90s and the water under the winter cover was 70 degrees. Last night when I checked my thermometer...it was 58 degrees...I lost 12 degrees over three days. That is gonna be hard to make back up!
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

  19. Back To Top    #19
    NWMNMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Waaay NW MN
    Posts
    1,582

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Chin up, the better weather is coming, it's just gonna be a late one this year. Farmers Almanac says hotter than normal for June/July/Aug this year - one can only hope, since the "new normal" for the last few years has been below normal -

    Ours is open, cleaned and running. Just waiting for temps to rise so I can add the salt and turn on the SWG. Supposed to be near 80 today in NW Minnesota so there is hope for the rest of the country, yah???

    Glad to hear your Dad is doing better. It has been the spring from H### for everyone. My DH had a heart attack at the end of March so we also have been dealing with a lot of issues - after two hospitalizations and some stents, he is limited on lifting and heavy work so I get to do more. Glad to do it though, love my pool but love my hubby more.
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

  20. Back To Top    #20
    cubbybeave08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northwest Indiana
    Posts
    890

    Re: Just want to open my pool? I can't get any cooperation

    Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom
    Chin up, the better weather is coming, it's just gonna be a late one this year. Farmers Almanac says hotter than normal for June/July/Aug this year - one can only hope, since the "new normal" for the last few years has been below normal -

    Ours is open, cleaned and running. Just waiting for temps to rise so I can add the salt and turn on the SWG. Supposed to be near 80 today in NW Minnesota so there is hope for the rest of the country, yah???

    Glad to hear your Dad is doing better. It has been the spring from H### for everyone. My DH had a heart attack at the end of March so we also have been dealing with a lot of issues - after two hospitalizations and some stents, he is limited on lifting and heavy work so I get to do more. Glad to do it though, love my pool but love my hubby more.

    NWMN MOM...give the hubby my best...It has been a CARAZZZZY Spring. My dad has a long road ahead of him, he has been on the Rehab unit, and doing 90 min of different threapies in the morning and 90 min in the afternoon every day but Sunday. He has another week yet.

    The crazy thing has been your weather has been consistently warmer than ours. That is what I get for living next to that big body of water we call Lake Michigan. NE winds keep us cool. We had a summer like that two years ago...I don't want another repeat.
    Beave
    Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Wil-Bar Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Swimline J-Blue Opal Liner, 1 4X20 Fafco Solar Bear Solar Heater
    Hayward 2 HP Swim Pro Voyager Pump Micro 150 with 4 way timer
    Swim Pro Voyager Filtration System with Hayward ABS Pearl wide mouth skimmer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •