Another newb

Mar 27, 2011
Hi all,
I've been having trouble getting my pool to hold chlorine. Ran 2 full tests on the pool, one last week and another this week, with some pH and chlorine tests in between.

Last week:
TC 0
pH 8.1
T/A 200
CH 220
CYA 55
Temp 85

Added some muriatic acid and the pH came down to 7.5. Shocked the pool with the amts listed given from the poolcalc. Next day, FC was at .5. Checked pH again, it was about 7.6. Added chlorine as per poolcalc, next day FC was at 0.

Checked pH last night, it was at 7.8. Added some acid to bring it down. Didn't move. Added more acid, figured that would fix it, then shocked the pool again per poolcalc.

Today:
FC 16
CC 0
TC 16
pH 9?
T/A 200
CH 230
CYA 30
Temp 70

So can anyone give me advice? Is my pH reading so high b/c of the shock levels of chlorine? BTW, pool is 12,500 gallons, plaster and I live in the PHX, AZ area.

Thanks a lot.

Shocking is an ongoing process, not something you do once and are done. You should read the article on Shocking Your Pool in Pool School. The main thing is you need to be adding chlorine more than once a day, especially at first.

Your PH is going up because your TA level is too high. It is also reading higher than actual because of the high FC levels. The next time your FC level is below 10, lower the PH to around 7.2. Then, when you are all done with shocking, think about lowering TA to something more reasonable. Try to get the PH down soon, as very high PH can interfere with shocking.

Welcome to TFP!!

Don't trust the pH reading when your chlorine is over 10 ppm.

What kit are you using to generate your numbers?

How does the water look (green, clear, murky...)?

Thanks for joining us here :goodjob: Sooner than you expect, we'll have you being an expert on your pool :cheers:

Jason,
Thanks, I read that page once, maybe I should go back and read it again. I find myself reverting back to my old ways of treating the pool (which are wrong!) I will get back out there this afternoon and use your advice to try again.

Waste,
I'm using the TFT kit. Water is clear and sparkly.

Lost right at 1ppm. Checked pH at I'm at 7.5. So now I guess I can work on my T/A?
Nope. You are close but to terminate the shock process you should met the following criteria....

1. Your water is crystal clear.
2. You lose less than 1.0 FC during the FC overnight loss test
3. Your CC's test is .5 or less

Less than one ppm on the FC and did you test for CC's?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.