Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Another newb

1. Back To Top    #1

Another newb

Hi all,
    I've been having trouble getting my pool to hold chlorine. Ran 2 full tests on the pool, one last week and another this week, with some pH and chlorine tests in between.

Last week:
    TC 0
    pH 8.1
    T/A 200
    CH 220
    CYA 55
    Temp 85

Added some muriatic acid and the pH came down to 7.5. Shocked the pool with the amts listed given from the poolcalc. Next day, FC was at .5. Checked pH again, it was about 7.6. Added chlorine as per poolcalc, next day FC was at 0.

Checked pH last night, it was at 7.8. Added some acid to bring it down. Didn't move. Added more acid, figured that would fix it, then shocked the pool again per poolcalc.

Today:
    FC 16
    CC 0
    TC 16
    pH 9?
    T/A 200
    CH 230
    CYA 30
    Temp 70

So can anyone give me advice? Is my pH reading so high b/c of the shock levels of chlorine? BTW, pool is 12,500 gallons, plaster and I live in the PHX, AZ area.

Thanks a lot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another newb

Shocking is an ongoing process, not something you do once and are done. You should read the article on Shocking Your Pool in Pool School. The main thing is you need to be adding chlorine more than once a day, especially at first.

Your PH is going up because your TA level is too high. It is also reading higher than actual because of the high FC levels. The next time your FC level is below 10, lower the PH to around 7.2. Then, when you are all done with shocking, think about lowering TA to something more reasonable. Try to get the PH down soon, as very high PH can interfere with shocking.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

Don't trust the pH reading when your chlorine is over 10 ppm.

What kit are you using to generate your numbers?

How does the water look (green, clear, murky...)?

Thanks for joining us here Sooner than you expect, we'll have you being an expert on your pool
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Jason,
    Thanks, I read that page once, maybe I should go back and read it again. I find myself reverting back to my old ways of treating the pool (which are wrong!) I will get back out there this afternoon and use your advice to try again.

Waste,
    I'm using the TFT kit. Water is clear and sparkly.

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, so I did the overnight test. Lost right at 1ppm. Checked pH at I'm at 7.5. So now I guess I can work on my T/A?

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Lost right at 1ppm. Checked pH at I'm at 7.5. So now I guess I can work on my T/A?
    Nope. You are close but to terminate the shock process you should met the following criteria....

1. Your water is crystal clear.
    2. You lose less than 1.0 FC during the FC overnight loss test
    3. Your CC's test is .5 or less

Less than one ppm on the FC and did you test for CC's?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, CC was at .5 ppm. So I can start working on T/A, correct?

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Lost right at 1ppm.
    That's close but you really need to lose LESS than 1ppm. Let it go one more day and you should be fine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Lost right at 1ppm.
    That's close but you really need to lose LESS than 1ppm. Let it go one more day and you should be fine.
    Agree that you should do another overnight test. And, welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!