Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do you test for CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do you test for CYA?

I’m a new pool owner with a salt water pool. The pool company just added the salt for the first time last week and didn’t add any CYA to my knowledge anyway. I have a “5 way test kit” which tests for Chlorine, Bromine, pH, Alkalinity, and Acid Demand.

Are any of those useful for CYA? If not, do I need a different test kit? Or a special CYA test kit? I didn’t see any mention of CYA in the instructions, but I’m wondering if it goes by another name?

Thanks!
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do you test for CYA?

CYA is also often called stabilizer, but you were correct in thinking that the kit you have doesn't test for it. Most of the folks on this site (myself included) will recommend the Taylor K-2006 kit or TF-100, both of those have a test for CYA. You can sometimes find a kit at Walmart or similar stores that has the CYA test in it, but for long term pool care and the ability to test all the things you'll need to over time, the K-2006 or TF-100 are the way to go. tftestkits.net is the only place to get the TF-100, the K-2006 can sometimes be found at pool stores, but most often online. Do not get the Taylor K-2005, it's not the same.

-- Pete
    32x16 ft Grecian rectangular vinyl pool 8ft on deep end - 19000 gal. 18" Hayward S-240 sand filter. 250K BTU Pentair MasterTemp heater. Hayward 3/4 HP Super Pump.

3. Back To Top    #3

You could also get a $14 supply of test strips that show TC, FC, pH, TA, and CYA. Purists will argue they are not accurate but they are quick, easy and close enough for me in telling if things are trending up or down, or in your case if you have any CYA at all.
    24000 gallon in-ground | 500 gallon spill-over spa | SWCG T-15 cell | PS-8 control panel | Solar panel heating | Propane heater | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Jacuzzi 2HP 240V pumps (one each for filter and spa jets) | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Auto-leveler |

4. Back To Top    #4

The problem with test strips is that they are so wildly wrong, expecially on the CYA test, that they're useless.
    If you want to do it right you need a good test to determine where you are.

I don't recommend test strips for anything. The only thing they're usually close on is pH, and they can be wrong on that as well.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with Bama
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks folks! Great stuff as usual.
    700 sq. ft./30,000 gal, gunite pool; 48 SF DE filter; 1.5 HP pump; Salt Water Generator; Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I don't recommend test strips for anything.
    What about Salt? What are options there?
    27' Diameter Above Gound Pool, approximately 15,000 Gallons (erected 5/12/2010)
    26” Blue Ball Baquapure Sand Filter (new sand as of 5/12/2010)
    Dynamo 1 HP 2 Speed Model# 340204
    Simpl Chlor Cholrine Generator

8. Back To Top    #8

I use the drop test for salt. It's the K-1766 I believe.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

The drop test kiit is awesome. The accucheck salt test strips work well also. Tfteskits.net carries both.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks,

I just reordered some stuff for my TF kit but still have several salt test strips left that I bought from them before. I may try the drop test next time.

Dega
    27' Diameter Above Gound Pool, approximately 15,000 Gallons (erected 5/12/2010)
    26” Blue Ball Baquapure Sand Filter (new sand as of 5/12/2010)
    Dynamo 1 HP 2 Speed Model# 340204
    Simpl Chlor Cholrine Generator