Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plumbing question, need to seal off spa jets for press. test

1. Back To Top    #1

Plumbing question, need to seal off spa jets for press. test

Hello again, I'm working on my pressure test for my plumbing inspection. I sealed off the returns with 1 1/2 threaded plugs. They were loose but a bunch of teflon tape seems to seal them.
    The spa jets all leak, there is a little tab on every one that keeps them from completely sealing closed, I assume it is there for a reason?

These jets appear to be a 1 3/4 diameter or something odd.

Does anyone have any tricks for sealing off something like this?

My Plan B is to isolate the spa lines with a valve for the test and leave them uncovered for the inspection.
    Do you think the inspector would go for that?
    BTW, I can pressurize everything to 20 PSI even with the leaking jets, I just have to keep the supply water on.

Thanks, John.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plumbing question, need to seal off spa jets for press.

I'd think a test plug would do it. They come in many sizes.

TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

hi,

I really have no experience what so evr on this topic but I found this site this afternoon and thought it may give you an idea.

http://www.leaktools.com/products/press ... ing_plugs/

good luck
    Cement 12'x30', in the neighborhood of 50 years old. Restored, 1.5"plumbing, 1hp super pump 2, Hayward swim clear cartridge filter, Summit2.5t heater,Hayward SWG t-9 cell, Nexxus Blanco lights, pentair bermuda gunite skimmer.

4. Back To Top    #4

Had a 2" test plug that would not fit into the spa hole. The outer flange on the plug was too big to go in far enough (about 2 inches deep).
    It would require some of those custom plugs like brownsburg suggested.
    My plug is a Home Depot Oatay plug just like JohnT showed except luckily it is plastic.
    I modified it with a band saw to cut the flange down to under 2".
    Works great, now I need to find and modify just 11 more.
    I should buy stock in Home Depot.

Thanks guys,
    John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by rv4hess
    I should buy stock in Home Depot.

Thanks guys,
    John
    Lowes for me, its right around the corner. I cant tell you how many $1000 weekends I have spent there. lol.
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here