Getting my pool opened tomorrow

Jan 12, 2011
Bel Air, MD
Just had some questions on what chemicals I will initially need. I bought 5 gallons of 6% bleach. I guess I should buy some baking soda and Borax. Anyone know how much I should buy of this initially? Also, are there any other chemicals I would need?

Yes, the long tube/hose is it. There should be a vacuum head that connects to the hose and to a long pole. The other end of the hose gets plugged into the skimmer. There are two ways to plug the hose into the skimmer. The best way is to use a vacuum plate, a special plastic plate that fits over the skimmer basket with a hole for plugging in the vacuum hose. If you can't find a vacuum plate, you can remove the skimmer basket and plug the hose directly into the hole at the bottom of the skimmer.

Make sure that you fill the hose with water before connecting it to the skimmer. Otherwise the air in the hose will cause problems with the pump.

Ah, I see that you found the vacuum head.

The ray vac is a suction side automatic pool cleaner, the lower picture is a standard manual vacuum.

The ray vac needs a special hose with floats on it. The manual vacuum uses something that look more like a standard vacuum hose. The ray vac manual is here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you actually need to vacuum up something I'd get the manual vacuum working right away and vacuum up whatever it is. Then, over the next several days read the ray vac manual, see if you have all of the parts you need to get it working, try it out, and see if you like it.

Hey again :wave:

I'd use the manual vac for the initial, and any heavy debris cleanings. I don't know about Ray-Vac, but I'll assume it's like the others and won't handle a total floor vacuuming as well as you could do manually.

I've got tomorrow off and will write up some manual vacuuming advice (which I hope will go into Pool School, since the question is now popping up more often. ) I'll post that stuff here tomorrow :cool:

waste said:
Hey again :wave:

I'd use the manual vac for the initial, and any heavy debris cleanings. I don't know about Ray-Vac, but I'll assume it's like the others and won't handle a total floor vacuuming as well as you could do manually.

I've got tomorrow off and will write up some manual vacuuming advice (which I hope will go into Pool School, since the question is now popping up more often. ) I'll post that stuff here tomorrow :cool:

thanks a bunch!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.