Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor K-2006 questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor K-2006 questions

I am a new in-ground pool owner who just bought the Taylor K-2006 testing kit. I am little overwhelmed on how to test. I see the instructions but I am slightly confused on things. Are there videos on the web I can follow to help me out a little more?
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Taylor K-2006 questions

Quote Originally Posted by precator
    I am a new in-ground pool owner who just bought the Taylor K-2006 testing kit. I am little overwhelmed on how to test. I see the instructions but I am slightly confused on things. Are there videos on the web I can follow to help me out a little more?
    http://www.taylortechnologies.com/pr..._slideshow.aspSelect Pool and Spa. Then pick which test you want to watch. Missing the FAS-DPD, but it's really simple to do.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

There are many videos on YouTube and we also have very detailed step by step directions in Extended Test Kit Directions.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Those videos look very helpful. Thank you guys!!
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

5. Back To Top    #5

Videos??? DOH !!

I just bought one of these kits and it was intimidating at first, but after a few times, you'll get the hang of it.

A few tips - as supplied by the great knowledge base here at TFP:

- Take your water sample from 2 feet under without getting your arm wet or bending over.
    Using a 3/4" pvc pipe, about 4' long, hold your hand on the top of the pipe to prevent water from entering (air from escaping), sink the pipe about 2' down and then remove your hand (pipe fills up). Replace your hand and remove the pipe and put over your water sample cup that you have placed on the coping. Slowly let air enter and dispense the water into the cup. (I use a tupperware dish - Flotsam)

- Collect water for testing in a squirt bottle and then dispense into the various tests from there. A squirt bottle with a very narrow hole is ideal, something like a hair color applicator bottle, but even a mustard/ketchup dispensor bottle will make things simpler.
    You can get clear squirt bottles like this @ Wallyworld for around a buck a piece. Look in the kitchen gadgets aisle. (I use a $1 turkey baster - works great since it has vol. marks on the side in oz and ml - Flotsam).
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student

6. Back To Top    #6

Do any of you guys know where I can get these kits in the UK? I've googled just about every keyword I can think of with no luck, and none of the US suppliers appear able to ship them to the UK [transit restrictions I guess]. You recommend these kits so highly, I can't understand why they are not readily available here. There are some other liquid reagent kits available, but these appear to be both sub-standard to the Taylor kits and horribly expensive.

Many thanks

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Hey, gazoodle,

Welcome to the forum

Yeah, you are right on the money. It's shipping restrictions that are the big drawback. Even though the chemistry in both the TF-100 and K-2006 is virtually harmless (although you probably shouldn't use it as a condiment ), they are not shippable by US mail.

A company called Horner Xpress can get you the K-2006 shipped just about anywhere you want but you'll have to take a second job to pay for it!
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Duraleigh!

I've fired off an email to the folk at Horner Xpress and will let you guys know what their response it.

Keep up the good work, it feels really good to have some (small) understanding of what is going on with the chemicals in my pool!

9. Back To Top    #9

A reasonable option for you in the U.K. and elsewhere in the world is the Palintest Pooltester SP 315C test kit. This has all the tests you need as drop-based tests (they use tablets for the dyes, but the TA and CH tests use titrating reagents that are liquids where you count the drops), but uses a DPD test for chlorine. Palintest also makes a FAS-DPD test, but it appears to only be available in the U.S. (though you might ask Palintest about that).
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"