Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Valvel Fittings/Tools

1. Back To Top    #1

Valvel Fittings/Tools

Happy Sunday Folks, I got my SWG yesterday and I'm trying to install it. Having a plumbing problem though.

Attached is a picture of my dilemma. What tool would you use to loosen the fitting circled in red. I'm hoping that the grey pipe to the right of the circle (the part with the "return" label on it) is not part of the valve, as it doesn't look like they've left enough pipe there (white) for me to add a new coupler to.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Jim.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In ground Pool, 13,000 gallons, Cartridge filter (big), Single pump, Hayward Goldline Aqua Rite
    Central Florida
    Miller Lite
    Tony Stewart

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Valvel Fittings/Tools

Big channel locks or a strap wrench.

If you have to go buy one, get the strap wrench, less likely to dig into the plastic or tear chunks off the coupler.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

You can also see if an old oil filter wrench (metal band) will fit around it. Might want to wrap a thin rag around the union first.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I was hoping to be able to get the fitting undone without having to cut the pipe to the right of the gray pipe. With no open end on pipe as it is now, I can't get any type of oil filter or strap wrench around it.
    In ground Pool, 13,000 gallons, Cartridge filter (big), Single pump, Hayward Goldline Aqua Rite
    Central Florida
    Miller Lite
    Tony Stewart

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbolo
    I was hoping to be able to get the fitting undone without having to cut the pipe to the right of the gray pipe. With no open end on pipe as it is now, I can't get any type of oil filter or strap wrench around it.
    Yes, you can!
    [youtube:13gkzbgz]K5AyJEQ0f-o[/youtube:13gkzbgz]
    Watch at about 1:30, the straps wraps around then gets attached to the handle.

Edit: hmm, youtube embed didn't work. Just copy n paste the URL, then.
    Fixed. Just use the movie code #, not the rest of the URL, with the youtube tag. JasonLion
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks Richard, Went ahead with the hack saw method and used an oil filter wrench. I figured I was going to have to cut it anyway. Too little room there between the valve sleeve and the table feeder to be able to cut it and get a union on it. Now I'm on a mission to find a Praher nut and sleeve.

I appreciate the quick replies!

Jim.
    Central Florida
    Miller Lite
    Tony Stewart

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

This is what I use alot. One of the handiest tools I have ever purchased.
    Its a locknut wrench, sells for about $5.00 at Home Depot.
    http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52...h--622622.aspx