Heating an Intex 15' pool...newbie question

May 1, 2011
London, UK
Hi All,

This is the beginning of our 2nd season with our pool after a rather disastrous last year which I won't bore you with. Our Intex 15' x 42" deep above ground pool is settled on level (ish) ground and we'll be heating it with a 9Kw heater (yet to purchase). Unless of course there is other recommendations!

I've had our electrician friend run the correct size armoured cable to outside and it's waiting in a large loom in order to be placed. The pool is around 8 feet from the location where I want to site the pool pump and heater. The question I have is ideally I'd like to put the pump and heater in some kind of weatherproof enclosure which is removable after the season is over. The armoured cable which will feed the heater is connected to a separate fuse / RCD board inside the house so can be isolated.

Can anyone recommend:

a) A small enough weatherproof enclosure to house both the heater and pump.
b) A method of connecting and disconnecting the power to the heater or must I de-wire the heater

I do realise that I should try and keep the pipes from the heater to the pool as short as possible but feel that 8 feet will kind of be the minimum it can be.

Any other tips / tricks warmly welcome.

Thanks
Darren

Since it's an electric heater you don't have to worry about exhaust. So any enclosure will work. I built my equipment shed out of metal siding to match my shop. and insulated it with foam sheets. It just tilts off to remove.

If you're talking about a plug and socket type arrangement so you cna disconnect the power every year without having to determinate the wires inside the heater, you could possibly use a welding plug type device if your locality permits it. NEC 2011 680.9 is the article for pool heaters and 680.7 allows them to be connected by cord and plug. However, if it requires bonding then that will have to be a separate mechanically attached wire.

I think I've decided on using an outdoor storage box (the type used to store cushions). I'll mount the heater (once I buy one of course) and the filter / pump inside. It'll be sited as close to the pool as possible thus minimising the length of the hoses. I'm in the UK BTW.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.