Still can get my tablet feeder to get enough chlorine

First off, here are my #s
    FC 3.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 100
    CH 120
    CYA 30

I have calculated my chlorine use to be around 2 ppm. And have been testing and adding liquid to get that in the pool, and the water quality is great as a result.

I have tablets in the feeder and verified that they are getting water and that the system is working properly. I have the dial set to 5. System is running for 8 hours a day at ~ 67 GPM and for an additional 4 hours a day at ~ 35 GPM. I think that is too much, but trying to get the feeder to give me some chlorine.

Could it be the product itself?
    I filled the tube with pucks, is that a problem?
    I don't think that adding stabilizer is an option at this point since the use is at 2 PPM. Thoughts?
    IG 23K Gal, Quad DE 80, PebbleSheen, Intelliflo VS+SVRS, MT 400 NG, Stenner Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Still can get my tablet feeder to get enough chlorine

A standard tablet feeder should be able to keep up with that chlorine demand. Filling the feeder with tablets is fine. They do occasionally get clogged. Perhaps it just needs to be cleaned.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What model feeder? Some have alternative places to attach the return tube: it should go in at the top for 3" pucks on my Rainbow 320. Mine also came with an orange flow reducer in the diverter that should have been left off. Sometimes the one-way valve in the bottom gets plugged up and needs to be cleaned. I finally gave up on mine and went back to the floater.

I only use pucks a few weeks a year when I travel anyway.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

4. Back To Top    #4

All I know is that it is a Rainbow inline chlorinator. The tube is top mounted. I don't see an orange flow reducer. Where is that located if it is on it?
    IG 23K Gal, Quad DE 80, PebbleSheen, Intelliflo VS+SVRS, MT 400 NG, Stenner Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Take the tablets out of the feeder so that there is nothing being added and do an overnight loss test. You may have an unseen chlorine demand that might require shocking before the tablets can keep up.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

@35 GPM, flow velocity through 2" pipe is only 3.5 FPS. This might be a bit slow, even with the top feed set up. How many tabs are in the feeder?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

Additional questions:

Are the tabs that are in there eroding? How often are you adding tabs?

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    Take the tablets out of the feeder so that there is nothing being added and do an overnight loss test. You may have an unseen chlorine demand that might require shocking before the tablets can keep up.
    I have been doing nightly chlorine drop tests to determine if I need to shock. The nightly consumption is .5. The pumps don't run at night so I should not be getting additional chlorine from the tabs during the night.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by PoolGuyNJ
    @35 GPM, flow velocity through 2" pipe is only 3.5 FPS. This might be a bit slow, even with the top feed set up. How many tabs are in the feeder?

Scott
    But wouldn't the 8 hours at 67 gpm be enough to see measurable amounts of chlorine added to the system?

I currently have the cylinder full. I will need to pop the top and check the erosion. I will try and take some pics this evening.

10. Back To Top    #10

Tabs are disolving slowly. I can't remember when I put them in, but they were full to the top.

Here are the pics:

11. Back To Top    #11

Off topic, but WOW you've got quite a bit of plumbing there. Are you sure it's a pool and not a nuclear plant?
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

12. Back To Top    #12

One thing I found out about my feeder. As the tabs dissolve, so does the amount of chlorine added to your pool.

I only put 4 in my feeder (which looks just like yours). The first two days, I had it set on 3. I had to bump it up yesterday (day 3) to try to maintain 5 ppm.

I'm guessing the smaller the tabs get, the more flow I need to maintain my chlorine.
    Custom Cloud shaped 19'x35' - Raised Spa 6' diameter
    Rainbow 320 Inline Chlorinator - Paramount Clear O3 Ozone Generator
    Hayward C4025 Cartridge Filter (Hayward CX880XRE) - Hayward Tristar 2 speed pump
    Hayward H400Fdn Heater, Hayward GVA-24 (valve actuators)

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by loweran
    All I know is that it is a Rainbow inline chlorinator. The tube is top mounted. I don't see an orange flow reducer. Where is that located if it is on it?
    The reducer is installed inside the diverter, which is inside the pipe the cylinder sits on. You have to take the cylinder off and look down into the hole to see it. It's soft rubber, and you can pull it out with your hand if it's there. You have to take the cylinder off anyway if you are going to try to clean the one-way valve, as that is on the bottom of the cylinder. Just detach the tube at the top and unscrew the whole thing.

You can also try 1" tablets, they erode faster.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for the advice I will give it a look.