Clody water problems

May 1, 2011
Hello I want to start off by saying I know very little about pool. This makes my second season with my pool and last year had zero problems everything stayed perfect all year. Anyway I opened up the pool this spring I shocked it and put algecide in and first couple days looked to be clearing up fine. Then out of the blue my water turned cloudy to where you cannot even see the bottom. All my readings seemed fine but my PH it was high so after a couple days and 7 pounds of PH minus I took PH down to 7.3. Before I did anything else I took the water sample to the pool store and here was my readings.

TC>7.8
FC>6.2
PH>7.3
TA>140
CH>150
Stabilizer 30

The pool store suggested I shock with 8 gallons of liquid shock for a 30'x 54" pool. I came home and put 8 gallons of liquid shock in just as directed. I got up this morning and I used my test strips and my PH shot way up again it is 8.4 or higher. Here is my readings.

Total hardnes>200
FC>10 or higher
PH>8.4 or higher
TA>120
CYA>30-50

Should I hurry and try and get my PH down before my chlorine level starts dropping or is this normal?

Thank you in advance for any advice

Hi wausman and welcome to TFP!

Yes, you need to get the pH back down. Chorine starts to lose some of it's effectiveness at higher pH levels. The reason why your pH is climbing rapidly is probably due to to your TA being so high. You should try and bring it down some (see Pool School).

In order to properly take care of your pool you really should get a good test kit. Testing regularly will keep you out of trouble. Having to run to the pool store to get testing done can be inaccurate as pool store testing results can vary greatly.

Welcome to TFP!

The PH test can give a false high reading when the FC level is high. Just ignore the PH until FC is below 10.

As benavidescj said, getting your own top quality test kit makes everything much much simpler.

I understand the need for a good qaulity test kit and I will buy one in the near future. As far as to pool store I agree but I have ask around a bit and the store I deal with seems to be the most honest out of all the local stores. They dont really seem to push items that you dont need I have even ask about the need for certain chemicals and was going buy them and they told me I did not need them.
I will wait and keep a eye on it and see if it comes down.

T-100 is the best..Same here I tried to trust the pool store last year..Start'd to make add's&someone stopped me on here..I'm glad they did because I would been spending more money to fix the problem.Please invest in the t-100 test kit..People say they don't have the money...I understand because I didn't when I got mine..But,I still have enough for this year..Did have to order another bottle for CYA.....You waste so much money when you don't have a handle on the water balance..Good Luck..

I just wanted to update and let you know how it turned out. I took your advice and just let it sit for a few days and checked the water this morning and the PH is dropping and the FC 10. Water has been clearing up you can see the bottom it is hard to tell just how clear it is it is pretty cloudy today and the solar cover is still on but atleast you can see the bottom. So thanks for all your good advise.

sunlight breaks down cc which often form while shocking. just helps speed up the process is all. Its ok to cover it perhaps a few hours during the process just to make sure anything lingering on the cover gets treated too, but in general, leaving it uncovered is best while you are shocking. The high chlorine levels probably don't help the lasting durability of the cover either. lol :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
last year bought new home, with a pool with unknown history... had tons of leaves in it, as cover had blown off sometime during winter (house was empty 6mths, so no maintenance at all!)
Normally, I'd agree with limited off-gassing, but last year I could actually see micro bubbles in the pool when I shocked it! don't know the cause, don't know the gas, but they were there...
anyway, thought I'd share the experience- maybe it was a fluke!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.