Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Results of just opened pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Results of just opened pool

Took cover off pool yesterday and water looked amazing. I topped off and allowed pump to run from 10pm last night to 830am this morning before I took my tests. Here are some of my results. I am waiting on my CYA test until my pool water reaches room temperature (Last year it was recommended that I wait to test CYA until pool water sample was at room temperature).

Please let me know what you think?

Pool temperature 60'F

FC 3.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.5
    TA 80 (I think this is a little low, but since I am kinda new to this ????)
    Calcium 140 ( I have a vinyl pool not sure on this either ???)

This is my 2nd year opening with the BBB method, I am still a newbie and I know last year I really didn't worry all that much about TA and calcium, I mostly monitored FC and CC every other day, and PH once a week?

Let me know what I should do next?
    I will post CYA results once I get them
    Thanks guys!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    3/4 horsepower Dough Boy PowerPak II pump
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Results of just opened pool

Your numbers so far are fine!

With a vinyl liner you only need to worry about CH being too high, which yours isn't, so CH is good. The ideal TA depends on what you use to add chlorine. Unless you use trichlor tablets for chlorine, having TA around 80 is just fine. PH is perfect. FC is probably good, but it depends on the CYA level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks JasonLion

I use just store bought liquid bleach for my chlorine. Am I right to wait to test CYA until at room temp?
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

4. Back To Top    #4

The CYA test is more reliable when you let the sample warm up to room temperature first.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok just got CYA it is at 20. What should I do? Top up to 40 and adjust FC levels from there.

Of Course I still have to clean out the pool, just a little bit of debris at bottom, but other than that is is sparkling clear! However, way to cold
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

6. Back To Top    #6

You seem to have everything all figured out

Yes, start raising CYA and then the next day adjust FC up a little to go with the new CYA level.

7. Back To Top    #7

pool looking good...Same exp here .First in 11 yrs that I have pulled the cover off&top'd off water&check'd water&it was the same has when I closed it..BBB method is great&no problem's...
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit