I had a 0 reading on my CYA upon opening my pool and wanted to confirm with a pool store test to make sure that was correct in case my reagent was bad.
My readings upon opening 4/26/11 and before adding any chemicals were:
FC 6.5, CC 0, PH 7.4, TA 80, CH 250, CYA < 30
The pool guy that opened my pool 4/27/11 added 4 gallons of chlorine (because I forgot to call and tell him to add nothing because he always adds too much chlorine when he opens). I'm not sure if the chlorine was 10 or 12.5.
The pool store test 4/30/11 FC 1, CC 1, PH 7.4, TA 80, CH 200, TDS 5300
My 4/30/11 test after the pool store had FC over 20 (I gave up at 40 drops) AND my salt test strip agreed with the 5300 salt level the pool store guy told me. My last salt test last fall was 2500. I added 100 lbs or so of salt to get it up to around 2500 a few years ago so the water would not burn my eyes and throat.
The pool store guy said my salt was 5300 (his paperwork said 5300 was the TDS) and that I'll need to replace a bunch of water if my chemicals stop working. And of course that I should not be using the liquid chloine but the trichlor pucks and non-chlorine shock. (Using the Pool Calculator...I figure I would have had to add about 500 lbs. of salt or 25000 ozs. of chlorine to get my salt from 2500 to 5000 since tested last fall!)
I know the TDS is more than just salt and I know the FC was well above 1, so I'm inclined to not believe the pool store guy's numbers. But my salt test strip also read about 5300. I found this online: "The level of TDS in the pool is influenced by many factors; the chemicals we add to adjust the pH, chlorine, water hardness, alkalinity, dust, dirt, human waste, . . . all increase its level."
Because my pool has just been opened and we have had alot of storms, is it possible a large amount of my TDS are dust and dirt and also can the high chlorine level be throwing off the salt or TDS tests?
The pool looks great except for the larger than usual amounts of dust, dirt and catkins from my oak tree than I have had in the past. I'm think of just waiting, watching and testing for now.