Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stabilizer

1. Back To Top    #1

Stabilizer

I hate going to my local pool store, but I am weary of ordering chemicals over the web. The only chemical I use is CYA and I wanted to know if anyone knew of a great online site to order from. I only use the BBB method so this is all I need, with the exception of a new above ground pool light? Any suggestions
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    3/4 horsepower Dough Boy PowerPak II pump
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stabilizer

There was a thread on here that had an online company you could buy CYA for 7.33 for 4 pounds. I ordered 16 pounds. I will try and find the tread and will repost.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok thanks! I tried searching but it didn't pull up anything.

I found BIOGUARD brand for 8.99 for 6 pounds and it said it was 100% CYA does that sound right and a good deal?
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

4. Back To Top    #4

Walmart sells it.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Here is the thread link, there is a coupon code in it also great-cya-price-t29287.html
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw20
    Ok thanks! I tried searching but it didn't pull up anything.

I found BIOGUARD brand for 8.99 for 6 pounds and it said it was 100% CYA does that sound right and a good deal?
    Considering the local pool store charged me $11.99 for 1.75 lbs of BioGuard Stabalizer ( I didn't need alot), that sounds like a fair price.
    Viking Laguna 14K IG , Smart Pure SWCG, SwimClear C5520 Cartridge Filter, TriStar 1.5HP, SmartControl PLP4 controller.

7. Back To Top    #7

Anything under $3/pound is a good price. $1.50/pound is a great price.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok another question about this darn stabilizer....

I am currently at 20 for my CYA....just got my pellet stabilizer and the directions confuse me?

They say as follows :...

1 lb. per 3,000 gallons will provide initial stabilizer level of 40 ppm.

1 lb. per 4,000 gallons will provide initial stabilizer level of 30 ppm

how much do I need to add to get to 40 ppm?

My pool is 21ft round and 48" deep all over, I also figure my gallons at 10,000.
    21 ft Round Dough Boy
    Vinyl Liner
    baqua goo convert

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw20
    Ok another question about this darn stabilizer....

I am currently at 20 for my CYA....just got my pellet stabilizer and the directions confuse me?

They say as follows :...

1 lb. per 3,000 gallons will provide initial stabilizer level of 40 ppm.

1 lb. per 4,000 gallons will provide initial stabilizer level of 30 ppm

how much do I need to add to get to 40 ppm?

My pool is 21ft round and 48" deep all over, I also figure my gallons at 10,000.
    About 1.75 pounds.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

1 3/4 lbs of stabilizer cyanuric acid will raise the CYA level by 20 in 10,000 gallons. You can use the Pool Calculator, see the link in my signature, to figure out things like this.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

I've not tried the inexpensive stuff, but Pooltime Stabilizer at Home Depot is $4 per pound and dissolves quickly if you help it. The instructions say to just dump it in the skimmer but I put it in a sock and alternate between squeezing and teabaging and it turns milky soon. Within 10 minutes it can be all gone.
    24000 gallon in-ground | 500 gallon spill-over spa | SWCG T-15 cell | PS-8 control panel | Solar panel heating | Propane heater | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Jacuzzi 2HP 240V pumps (one each for filter and spa jets) | Jacuzzi TM 31 sand filter | Auto-leveler |

12. Back To Top    #12

In the Industry

Within 10 minutes it can be all gone.
    But, maddeningly, will probably not register on the test until a few days have gone by. I don't understand why, but mine seems to take about 3 days for the FULL dose to show up on the test. Others have reported even longer wait periods.

The EXPENSIVE liquid form apparently registers right away (I don't know that for a fact) but5 I am too cheap to use it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

I hate going to the pool store as well. I have found that if you know what you want, go in and tell them all is well. It gets bad when you have no clue and let them help you. But alternative places are walmart, home depot, and lowes.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits