Should I increase CH?

kal2002

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2010
Sacramento, CA
Hi everyone,

I have been wondering for the past few months if I should increase the CH level. My test results for today is:

FC - 8
PH - 7.6
CC - 0.5
CH - 220
TA - 80
CYA - 50
CSI based on Pool Calculator: -0.21
Pool water temp. - 68 degrees

Tested fill water today for the first time: CH - 60

I noticed that CH dropped to 200 during the winter. We had some really rainy and windy weather and the auto fill was on for about a month now, so I guess CH increased to 220. Question is: Should I increase CH to at least 250 or should I leave it alone? Thanks.

If you have a plaster pool, then yes, increase CH to 250 or higher, preferably something like 300 so it will still be 250 or higher at the end of the season. There is no need to be in any rush to do this right this moment, but well worth it in the long run.

If you have vinyl or fiberglass then there isn't any need to increase CH.

Check your fill water. I'll bet it's got plenty of CH. In which case, the pool CH will go up all by itself through evaporation and refilling. It will go up a LOT.

If you're worried, add some. But go easy on it. Chlorine comes and goes, but Calcium is forever. In a few months you may be doing partial drains to lower CH, and when you do, you lose the same percentage of CYA and FC. Literally, money down the drain.

If it were me, I'd plug numbers into Pool Calculator, and if CSI is ±.3, I'd leave it alone.

editted to add decimal point, thanks Chemgeek!

Hi Richard,

I did test the tap water which is the same as the fill water and CH is only 60. Since I don't have to be in a hurry to increase the CH level, I will test for it again at the end of this week. We are supposed to have sunny weather in the low 80's all week and no rain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.