Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liner type ?

1. Back To Top    #1

Liner type ?

I just picked up an 18 foot ABG poolsteel sided
    . The guy told me it was 16' but when i layed out the track it was 18.he also said i need a over lap liner. Im not sure what kind i need. I dont have a name of the pool either. All i know is it has the same track on the bottom as the top edge. I found this out as i was laying all for the bottom lol .
    ps ya im a newbie lol
    any help would be appreciated
    18' x 52" Intex steel frame pool
    1500 gph pool pump
    Kingston Ontario Canada

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liner type ?

Overlap liner denotes how the liner fits over the top rail and is a pretty common style. It just folds over the top of the pool wall like a garbage bag over the top of the garbage can. Just go to your local pool store or search the internet for overlap liners and you'll find plenty.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Ya i did a bit of looking around on the net but found it hard to find. Does it sound like this is the liner i need ? SOunds like i need to lay the track then the walls then liner , put the top track on, then the verticals then the coping Then add water and cut out the skimmer and a way we go ....lol Sound about right?
    1500 gph pool pump
    Kingston Ontario Canada

4. Back To Top    #4

Here's a link with the sequence. This is an oval pool but the process is real close. The pictures at the end are worth a lot.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

that looks like the same set up as mine. What type of liner is that? Can I use either type of liner?
    1500 gph pool pump
    Kingston Ontario Canada

6. Back To Top    #6

If your pool is an overlap type then you'll have to have an overlap liner unless you want to buy new top liner track which I wouldn't recommend.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

thats the thing ! I am not sure what type of liner i need? How can i tell? The guy I purchased it from said it was an overlap type but how do i know thats what i need before i purchase it ?
    1500 gph pool pump
    Kingston Ontario Canada

8. Back To Top    #8

There are normally 3 types....

Overlap-- it is pulled and stretched over the wall and then a plastic strip (coping)is placed over the top about 1/2 " to 3/4" then the top rail goes on..

J-hook or Unibead-- the is as it implies--this liner has a special edge that can be hung on the top of the wall and then no coping strip is needed --the liner is thick enough to be compressed when the top rail is placed on the wall .. This liner can also be used in a Beaded configuration also-- by removing the Part of the J- and then placing in the beaded receivers under the top rail.

Beaded--- a more "precise" fit liner that has a special coping piece that fits under the rail the liner fits in..

I prefer the J-hook-Unibead style--- easier to install and get wrinkles out .

Make sure to get the right diameter for the pool and take special note of your wall height -- this will make a difference...
    24' x52" Sharkline Venture (May 2016) ABG (13,500)
    Hayward S180T15932S --Sand filter/ Flo-Matrix pump pack
    Aquatrol-RJ SWG-- Nitelighter NLMC
    Dolphin E10
    Duraspa G2- Premium hot tub --Rotomold style