Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: low temp warning

1. Back To Top    #1

low temp warning

Interesting issue I had this week curious if anyone else has had this

When i started the pool the swg on the P4 controller stated cell off due to low temp, but as temp rose the cell came on so all well and good, but then the temp dropped after a cold spell, but when I started to ehat the pool the cell did not come back on even though the water temp was at 60F (the manual says above 50F). I had a power cut in between I must add.

So I turned everything off and back on and the cell jumped into life.

Anyone have any clue about this or just one of those things?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: low temp warning

The intellichlor has its own temp sensor. It might not be exactly right, or the same as what your system reads.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi,
    the one I have is a Haywood T5 cell, is this the same unit?

Thanks for the reply.

4. Back To Top    #4

No its not the same you have the p4 which is a goldline controls unit. It contains both a air and water temp sensor. Check the air temp sensor. It should be mounted somewhere near he control box.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

the air temp is sitting in the shade away from any eronous heat source.
    so the cell has its own indepentant water temp sensor from the P4? so if I follow right, this means the cell could be reading a different temp thus showing a low temp reading even though the P4 says otherwise?

6. Back To Top    #6

That is possible, though unlikely. The two sensors should both be reading the water temperature and getting very similar results. If they disagree the most likely cause would be a loose connection between the cell and the control unit or a damaged cell cable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Just gone into diagnostics and the cell reads 02F above the pool temp, but everything is working as it should so will put it down to either "one of those things" or the powr outage we had playing the cell up.

Just for further education, if the power goes out should you unplug the cell when restarting the P4? I noted on install the instructions said to have cell unplugged when starting.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

You have a Goldline Aqua-logic p4. You really dont want to plug or unplug the salt cell with power to the unit.

9. Back To Top    #9

The P4 has an air temp sensor and one water temp sensor. When you scroll through the default menu, you can scroll through and see what they are reading. You can compare the values. I have a thermometer in the water that i have tied to the bottom rung of may ladder. It reads withing in 1 - 2 degrees of the water temp from the P4 (note you can only get pool temp readings on the P4 when water is flowing so turn on pump). My Air temp sensor is mounted below the box in the shade. I campare that to an outdoor thermostat.

I have never seen 2 water temp sensors on these goldline P series units......
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

10. Back To Top    #10

jhalpinjr, the second sensor is in the AquaRite cell.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School