Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My sheer waterfall keeps breaking/leaking...

1. Back To Top    #1

My sheer waterfall keeps breaking/leaking...

Had a laminar waterfall installed with the pool two years ago. Last summer I decided to try my cyclone blower to see if it could blow the water out of the lines OK prior to winter as I close the pool myself now. All went well and the blower cleared the lines OK, but I noticed a short while later that water was seeping through the brick work where the waterfall in mounted. The PB came back and removed the sheer waterfall, and it was burst/cracked near where the water line attaches to it. He replaced it and I didn't think much of it, and last fall blew the lines out myself, and I just tried to waterfall today, and the water is leeching through the bricks where it did before. The line was properly blown out as it took about 15 seconds for the water to come out of the waterfall when I first turned it on, so no water in the lines over the winter.

So it seems that either I have another dud waterfall, or perhaps the blower is putting to much stress on the waterfall and rupturing it when I'm blowing the water out. Anyone have any experience with something like this and why it might be breaking?
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My sheer waterfall keeps breaking/leaking...

Sounds like freeze damage. Is there a low spot in the plumbing where is has broken?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

I blew the lines out really well and where it's broken (I'm assuming where it's broken as they haven't come out yet for the second time to fix it) is well above the water line so I don't think it's freeze damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10K gal IG, vinyl, 1 HP Jandy Stealth pump, Jandy CS cartridge filter, Delta UV system, Hasa Liquidator

4. Back To Top    #4

I understand that its above the water line, but if there's a spot there for water to collect, it doesn't matter. Could water be getting in the opening of the sheer descent during the winter, or do you plug it somehow? You could be blowing it out well but if water can get in the top...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

That's a possibility, I never sealed the front up to prevent water from entering. I'll get a better picture when the PB comes and takes it apart again. Last time it cracked right at the top of the unit where the water pipe connects to it.