Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool--adding salt next week/when to balance?

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool--adding salt next week/when to balance?

We have had our inground pool for 30 days this next week and will be adding the salt. Currently I have balanced the water according to the traditional pool calculator using dichlor, muriatic acid and a liquid stabilizer. Will now be switching to Clorox as well as granular CYA. (had some dichlor chlorine to use from PB)

Here are our test results currently:

FC 3.5
    pH 7.8
    TA 110
    CH 140
    CYA 45

I've corrected for ph with muriatic acid, have not done anything with the TA yet as I keep adding muriatic acid--- nor the CH as I read to wait for the plaster to cure for 30 days.
    When changing to salt, should I get the numbers aligned with the SWG calculator before or after we add the salt? In other words could I add more granular CYA now before next week for it to dissolve and test then? The same with the CH?

Thanks for your help!
    Cheers!
    ~Julie

30K gunite pool, Pentair VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 520 Cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG, automatic cover, Intellibrite Pentair LED light, no heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool--adding salt next week/when to balance?

It doesn't matter when you add the salt, now or later, as long as it has been 30 days since the plaster was applied. Salt doesn't interact with any of the other chemicals.

If it has been 3 weeks, you can go ahead and start raising the CYA level. You can also start raising CH a little, but don't take it all the way up, as it will still come up a little on it's own. Given that it has been three weeks, CH at 140 is too low, so go ahead and bring it up to something like 200 for now. Then finish adjusting CH when it has been 30 days.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New pool--adding salt next week/when to balance?

Thanks so much!
    Cheers!
    ~Julie

30K gunite pool, Pentair VS 3050 pump, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 520 Cartridge filter, Jandy AquaPure SWG, automatic cover, Intellibrite Pentair LED light, no heater.