Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquidator Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquidator Question

It's reading bt 0 and 1 on the flow meter with the valve open all the way. I must be doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out. Been tinkering with it all morning and moved it around to different spots, but I cannot get it the flow any better. Suggestions???
    18' x 54" Round AGP, Hayward pump/Cartridge Filter, 8 Gallon Liquidator, and TF-Test

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquidator Question

Do you have a two speed pump, or a variable speed pump? The Liquidator has lower flow rates when then pump is on a low speed. Also what is your filter pressure, and where do you have the Liquidator feed and return hoses connected?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If your inlet and outlet hose connections on the Liquidator contaIner are ABOVE the pool water level...............they say to remove the check valves if you have them inline.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Several people (myself included) have had issues with the stock check valve on the LQ. I replaced mine with a 1/4" npt SMC check valve and it worked great.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Jason - I have a 2hp pump that came in the package deal, I have been looking at different pumps but that's what I have now. The gauge is reading about 24 psi and the feed is coming from after the filter, the return is right b4 the pump.

Woody - The LQ is below the water line

Bama - I have removed the Check valves and still know difference

The best I can find is everything flows good except b/t the return fitting b4 the pump and the check valve in the return line on the LQ. The water coming from the return fitting and meeting the water coming from the LQ is not strong enough to get in the system
    18' x 54" Round AGP, Hayward pump/Cartridge Filter, 8 Gallon Liquidator, and TF-Test

6. Back To Top    #6

With a large pump and the correct hose connections, flow that low means that something is defective somewhere. From other reports it is likely that the problem is the Liquidator flow rate valve, but you could also be having problems with a check valve or one of the float valves. The best thing to do is to bypass parts one at a time until the flow rate improves, as you appear to have started doing already.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Here's a quick test. If you have a valve before the LQ outlet in the skimmer line, partially close it off and see if the flow out of the LQ goes up. If you don't have a valve you can either hook up a vacuum to the skimmer or partially block the skimmer outlet to see if that increases the flow out of the LQ.

Can you take a pic of your setup and post it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

When I had the cleaner hooked up to the skimmer yesterday I noticed the flow was working properly. When I removed it went back to doing the same thing reading bt 0 and 1 with the valve open all the way. I'll post a pic also

9. Back To Top    #9

The black tape is test spots

10. Back To Top    #10

That tells me that you have a very low suction head. That's a good thing as far as the pool goes but a bad thing for the LQ flow wise.

I assume that the thing I see right behind the LQ is the pool.

Have you tried moving the outlet to the drain plug of the pump basket?

That valve right at the pump basket is part of your problem.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

I put a nipple in the drain plug of the pump basket and no better. Why is the shut off an issue??

12. Back To Top    #12

You're taking a pressure drop across that valve so the pressure is slightly lower on one side of the valve than on the other. If the valve was farther out in the line you could put the LQ tap between the valve and pump suction and take advantage of the pressure drop across the valve to help the LQ flow. You could also partially close the valve to increase the suction pressure so the LQ would flow better.

As a second thought, are you sure the impeller of the pump is clear?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

I put the outlet feed in b/t the valve and pump basket and it has been feeding finally, however the flow is not very strong. It's reading around 2 on the flow meter with the valve fully open. Any suggestions on how to get a stronger flow down that outlet?

14. Back To Top    #14

Close that valve a little bit. You could also try a skimmer sock in the skimmer basket. That will increase the suction head a little bit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

You're the man Bama, that did it. TY for all the help!!!! I'm going to try the sock also, it might help with all my pine needles that keep falling in early season.

16. Back To Top    #16

You're very welcome.

We don't often run into the situation where there's not enough suction head to get the LQ to flow because most most pools have enough suction restriction to create enough head to suck the chlorine out if the line. Once in a while we see a pool with a very short run to the pump and there's something (like you're valve) that takes all the suction head right at the pump suction.

P.S. As an afterthought, you could have placed the outlet of the LQ in the basket drain and closed the valve a little and that would have possibly worked.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    You're very welcome.

We don't often run into the situation where there's not enough suction head to get the LQ to flow because most most pools have enough suction restriction to create enough head to suck the chlorine out if the line. Once in a while we see a pool with a very short run to the pump and there's something (like you're valve) that takes all the suction head right at the pump suction.

P.S. As an afterthought, you could have placed the outlet of the LQ in the basket drain and closed the valve a little and that would have possibly worked.
    Please excuse the highjack...where did you all get a fitting for the backet drain?

Was it a 1/2" fitting with barb?

Thanks...Bo
    Thanks all for your amazingly helpful advice! Bo

18x33 Morada pool, 14,100 Gal - 2HP, 2SPD W/Skimmer and Caplet Basket, 125 GPM Waterway ProClean Cartridge Filter System – 8 Gal LQ - TF-100.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

God Bless America!

18. Back To Top    #18

Good Question. I could also use this info. I got my LQ today and will be installing this weekend.
    11400 Gallon AG 22ft
    Hayward Sand Filter
    1 HP Hayward XL Pump
    Liquidator 3/8" upgrade, Hayward Needle Valve
    Useful Links: Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis, Pool School, The Pool Calculator

19. Back To Top    #19

It's a 1/4"NPT fitting with a barb. Home Depot & Lowes have them. You can get a speed fit fitting too which has a larger opening.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator