Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: removing square drain plugs from skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

removing square drain plugs from skimmer

This might be a stupid question.

When removing the square drain plugs from the skimmer should I be turning counter-clockwise or clockwise? The pool company closed the pool and I'm having a **** of a time trying to unscrew the drain plugs. I've been using a wrench to turn counter-clockwise but the drain plug isn't budging. There's not a lot of room in the skimmer for me to get sufficient torque to unscrew the plug.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: removing square drain plugs from skimmer

hmm...any chance you can snap a pic of the plug?
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3
    SouthWest Alabama

since I've never seen a left handed threaded pipe I'm going with 'righty tighty, lefty loosey'. So counter-clockwise is the way to turn it when looking down on the top of it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Scottsdale, AZ

Generally put in with a large T-handle tool.
    Hard to take out with out that I would think.
    Lefty loosey, righty tighty

5. Back To Top    #5

If you're using an adjustable wrench, put a short screwdriver through the hole in the end of the wrench to use as a lever.
    If there are two plugs, make sure you know which one to remove and which one to leave alone.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Houston, Texas

You may need a long pair of straight vise-grip pliers to get a good hold on the plug.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7
    Lakeland, FL

Re: removing square head drain plugs from skimmer

I really should have another cup of coffee. But square drain plugs don't turn. You mean a square headed drain plug? Then Righty-Tighty, Leftly-Loosy applies.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

8. Back To Top    #8

darrenw, i know exactly what you are asking, i do this every year myself. Turn those square plugs counter clockwise with a good set of pliers and then you can finish off removing them by hand.
    ~13,500 gallons; Outback AG 24' X 48" (don’t have any idea how old as it was given to us); Hayward Pro-Series S220T sand filter 52 GPM flow rate; Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1.5 HP single speed pump; Taylor K-2006 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

New Jersey

The 2" square head plugs in my skimmer come right out with a 12pt. 1 1/2" socket and two long extensions. But if you don't work on tractors regularly this might not be in your toolbox.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.