Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC Flex Pipe and Pipe Size Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC Flex Pipe and Pipe Size Questions

I've read a ton about pipe size and am convinced 2.5" returns from the skimmers and main drain help move water more efficiently. What about PVC Flex Pipe? What are the pro's and con's? I've read in some spots that bugs (termites) can eat through it and cause leakes?

My pool is 34 x 18 free form salt water gunite pool. I've got 3 small (off a raised beam wall) rock water falls and a 7.5' inside diameter spa which has a rock waterfall into the pool. The spa suction will be 2.5" as well, is that a good idea and should I also put 2.5" returns to the spa to help increase the flo in my spa? I want a spa, not a hot bath, so I want plenty of power from my jets.

I'm going to use 2 Intelliflo VF pumps. 1 for the pool and 1 for the spa and water features.

I've got about a 3.5' elevation from my pool up to my equipment (pool is lower).

I will use an intellitouch system i5, I believe. Any issues with that system working with this set up?

Thanks!!
    34 x 19 salt water free form. 7.5" inside diameter raised spa. 24" raised beam in back. 3 moss rock waterfalls off raised beam and moss rock waterfall out of the spa. (2) Intelliflo VF pumps, 420 Cartridge Filter, 400 BTU Pentair low nox heater. 2.5" suction and 2" returns throughout.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: PVC Flex Pipe and Pipe Size Questions

Many hate it and wont use it. Not a product I use.
    But I think the consensus is, if it is encased in gunite, (like a spa dam wall) then it is ok to use.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks I just met with my plumber and it's only going in the spa walls and where it will be enclosed in gunite. I told them, no exposure to dirt...don't want termites and unstable ground messing with it. Thanks again, really love this forum and will be glad to contribute more vs. just take the knowledge. Pay it forward!
    34 x 19 salt water free form. 7.5" inside diameter raised spa. 24" raised beam in back. 3 moss rock waterfalls off raised beam and moss rock waterfall out of the spa. (2) Intelliflo VF pumps, 420 Cartridge Filter, 400 BTU Pentair low nox heater. 2.5" suction and 2" returns throughout.

4. Back To Top    #4

I would think unstable ground would cause greater potential issues with rigid pipe then it would with flex.
    Completed: June 2011
    18' X 38' IG Vinyl, 3' - 8' depth ~ 24K gallons
    2 skimmers, 2 wall suctions, 3 returns, 1.5" piping

Hayward Equipment: 1HP Tri-star 2-speed, Aqua-Plus SWG,
    Star-Clear Plus 175 sqft cartridge filter, Colorlogic 4.0 LED

The Pool Cleaner 4X(suction)
    2011 Jacuzzi J-280 Hot tub

5. Back To Top    #5

Flexible pipe can crush more easily than rigid, so even though it can flex to conform with ground movement, it isn't really any more reliable.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

So Jason, are you saying you would not allow flex pipe in the ground? I told them they could use it in the gunite (around the spa for example) but not in the dirt.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

We heat bend Schedule 40 for these areas, and dont use flex pipe. Done correctly it elliminates many fittings, and lowers overall head.

8. Back To Top    #8

In areas where termites are rare, or the flex is fully encased in something termite proof, flex is fine. My point was that flex isn't any better than rigid at responding to ground movement. They both hold up rather well, and only very occasionally fail. The rare failures are simply for different reasons, rigid breaks and flex collapses/kinks.

Heat bending requires noticeably more skill to use than flex. Done well, heat bending is better.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School