Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: mosquitos

1. Back To Top    #1

mosquitos

Hello everyone

pool is up and running water 75 * Does anyone here know a good way to reduce mosquito problems for nite swimming what has worked bug killers citronella lamps or what ?Its not a heavy infestation at nite just annoying and I like the pool after dark.
    GPMIDWAY 18X33 AGP 2HP CARTRIDGE 2 SPEED
    WINSTON SALEM NC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: mosquitos

I would love to know the answer to this question too! Living in South Louisiana - we call mosquitos the state bird! I've just recently purchased an insect repellant plant but I'm not sure how good it will work. The nursery that sold it to me said it works great, of course. Another nursery said not to waste my money... we'll see. I also plan on putting some citronella torches in pots around the pool... great ambiance and hopefully will keep the squitos away too!
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

3. Back To Top    #3

Lol yes I sort of live in a bottom and probably have more than my neighbors I hope we get some good ideas, hope you were missed by this tornado season so far.
    WINSTON SALEM NC

4. Back To Top    #4

Sometimes the tiki torches work.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I have found the best thing is the lanterns made by Thermocell.....they are odorless, no mess to load the strips and include an anti tip switch so if they are knocked over the extinguish. Each lamp will do a 15 foot diameter area.

I live in middle GA and the mosquitos here are bad- these really work. You can get them at Walmart.
    16 x 32 Grecian Vinyl. Salt-Aqua Plus PS-4, Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter, Hayward Ecostar SP34000vsp, Gulfstream HE-125-T-A Heat/Cool heat Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Here in Louisiana, the only thing I have had luck with is fogging on a regular basis, the only problem is when fogging in the evening hours I have had the fire department show up more than once when someone driving by thought they saw "smoke".

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the reply's I will try all This didn't seem to be a problem when I belonged to a big community pool Have a great summer and a safe one
    WINSTON SALEM NC

8. Back To Top    #8

I have the citronella oil torches all around the pool, they seem to work.
    15ft round above ground pool (6600 gallons)
    Sand filter
    Jandy gas heater
    Intermatic timer

9. Back To Top    #9

Tiki torches for North Carolina...............12 gauge for Louisiana!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

10. Back To Top    #10

LOL! I love that one!
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

11. Back To Top    #11

Mosquitonix.com expensive but they guarantee no Mosquitos. Works for me in a swampy area of NC.
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

12. Back To Top    #12

Bat houses? Bats love to eat bugs and mosquitoes are bugs, right? Bats usually feed at dusk. I know where we are in Ohio, mosquitoes are not a problem if there are bats about. Its worth a try...
    2005 Dimension One Venture model 370 gal. hot tub. We'll be using the TFP method to keep it clean and ready to use!
    TFP - The Finest Phorum on the Net!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by jhalpinjr
    I have found the best thing is the lanterns made by Thermocell.....they are odorless, no mess to load the strips and include an anti tip switch so if they are knocked over the extinguish. Each lamp will do a 15 foot diameter area.

I live in middle GA and the mosquitos here are bad- these really work. You can get them at Walmart.
    X2!!!
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir