Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair MultiPortValve

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair MultiPortValve

So after reading about them here and all my friends bragging about their mvp's I decided to take the plunge and retrofit my sand filter with one.

Found one still in the box on ebay. Pentair model #261055, says right on the box in the pictures. Sweet price too! Got it shipped and come to find out there is a label on the front that says #261152 VLV 2"MPT DE PH EXP.

Actual valve says on the label: 27-3207 which cross references with a DE filters only but I did see where an add at a parts store said "for use on de and sand filters".

Tad confused.

Is this true? Can I use this on my Triton II 60 sand filter?
    13,100 gal (?) IG Plaster Pool, Rectangular (30 feet long, 11 feet wide at 3 feet deep shallow end, 14 feet wide at 6 feet deep end.)
    Pentair Challenger 1hp 2 speed hardwired pump
    Triton II T60 sand filter
    P153 Intermatic digital timer control
    8 gal Liquidator with 3/8" upgrade

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pentair MultiPortValve

261055 is for Quad DE and Triton filters.
    261152 is for FNS filters needing 2" pipe.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

3. Back To Top    #3

So looks like I have to get the correct one, crapola. Afraid of that.

Anyone needing a mvp? :P
    13,100 gal (?) IG Plaster Pool, Rectangular (30 feet long, 11 feet wide at 3 feet deep shallow end, 14 feet wide at 6 feet deep end.)

4. Back To Top    #4

Well, you could use it, its just plumbed backwards. So filter would mean backwash and backwash would mean filter.

The difference between the two valves is the Triton/Quad valve is designed for filters where the inlet is on the top and outlet is on the bottom. The DE valve is designed for inlet to be on the bottom, and outlet on the top. There isn't a huge difference between them other than that.

Take this advice with a grain of salt, I'm the filters engineer, not the valves engineer, but I THINK thats the only real difference.
    In-ground Filters Engineer
    Pentair Water Pool and Spa, Inc.
    www.pentairpool.com
    1620 Hawkins Ave
    Sanford, NC 27330

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by BriceJohnson
    Well, you could use it, its just plumbed backwards. So filter would mean backwash and backwash would mean filter.

The difference between the two valves is the Triton/Quad valve is designed for filters where the inlet is on the top and outlet is on the bottom. The DE valve is designed for inlet to be on the bottom, and outlet on the top. There isn't a huge difference between them other than that.

Take this advice with a grain of salt, I'm the filters engineer, not the valves engineer, but I THINK thats the only real difference.
    I'd rather not Brice. I appreciate the info but since I travel a lot and gone at weeks at a time, I'd rather not worry if the wife has it right or not. Especially the stepson. Ugh.

I wonder - could I buy a rebuilt kit and just replace the whole top portion and the internals? Or is that not cost prohibitive?

6. Back To Top    #6

Hey Brice, do me a favor - ask the nimrods over in your valve division why they would have the box printed 261055 Threaded Triton and Quad De Filter Valve on the top, then on the botton FNS,FNS PLUS and NSP Filters....AND a sticker on the side that says 261152!

Very very confusing.

7. Back To Top    #7

As I said via PM, email me a picture of what you're talking about and I will report it to our Quality Alert Log to make sure somebody takes a look at it. This definitely shouldn't have happened.
    In-ground Filters Engineer
    Pentair Water Pool and Spa, Inc.
    www.pentairpool.com
    1620 Hawkins Ave
    Sanford, NC 27330