Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward H Series Heater leaking

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward H Series Heater leaking

Hi,

Have put off restarting my solar because I have noticed two things happening when the pool pump is running (heater not on):

There is water dripping from underneath the Hayward heater. H series, 7yrs old, said to be 400K btu on my invoice, has 120V conduit going to it.

There is a trickle of water coming out the lowest solar pipe on the roof (I remove the end cap at end of each season).

I describe these two things in case there is a quick recognition of something I may not have done right at shut down last season.

Otherwise: What is the most likely thing to leak on this and should I try to troubleshoot it before calling pool repairman?
    I can see a lot of panels I can start taking off, but where it leads me is always the question!

Thanks -Bob
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob

23,000 gal in-ground, Aquarite salt sys, Intellitouch i7 +3, Hayward cartridge filter (4) C-5025, Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner, 3/4 HP booster pump, Hydrazzo plaster.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward H Series Heater leaking

Can you get a closer look at where the leaks are? The heater drain plug is a likely spot.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

If you look at the front header, the leak comes from behind the tin it is attached to. The water flows from the seam that joins this tin backing from the piece of tine below it. No water from the header exteriorly or any plugs on the header. The word TOP on the header is on the bottom of my header
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob

23,000 gal in-ground, Aquarite salt sys, Intellitouch i7 +3, Hayward cartridge filter (4) C-5025, Polaris 280 Pool Cleaner, 3/4 HP booster pump, Hydrazzo plaster.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by aquaman
    The word TOP on the header is on the bottom of my header
    Is the header on the left or right side of the heater. If its upside down, i'm guessing left? If it is, thats normal. It was just reversed for easier access. Let me know left or right.

As for the water, it sounds like a leak unfortunately. Can you post up a pict?
    14,000 gallon IG, Vinyl. Hayward 3/4 hp superpump, Penatair IC40 SWCG, Pentair automation, Hayward sand filter, Aqua Comfort heat pump, Hayward 400k Lo-Nox LP heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

I also have this heater and it started leaking a couple days ago from the exact same spot described. Did you find the leak? How did you fix the problem?

6. Back To Top    #6

By replacing the heater.

The heater started leaking in an un-repairable location, perhaps related to how it was soldered. Pool company sub long gone.
    Thanks As Always!
    Bob