Hayward Automation Options Advice

jblizzle

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Seriously getting sick of paying a pool company to screw up my pool's chemistry :x and just can not seem to find the time to check and add beach everyday. I actually bought a Harward chlorinator and cell which is still in the box, but then realized I think I would be better off getting one of the automation units which would also do the SWG ... this is where the confusion starts. I just can not seem to get reliable information on the differences between the units (even from the tech support).

My pool (no spa) is pretty basic:
1 pump & filter
1 suction line (floor and skimmer)
3 returns (wall, bench seat, old-school whips (not used, but during a remodel, I decided to keep this circuit in case I ever needed it) with on/off valves
1 waterfall with butterfly valve on branch after filter
Solar heater
Gas heater (currently plumbed BEFORE the solar ... :shock: )
Electric robot cleaner (since there was not a return for a suction cleaner without loosing the skimmer)

So, I can imagine needing:
3 valve controls (solar on/off, waterfall on/off, wall/bench 3-way).
1 relay for the pump (although I guess I would need 2 if I switch to a variable speed pump)
1 relay for the pool light (maybe ... would require a re-wire)
1 relay for an external spa (totally theoretical at this point)
1 relay for landscaping lights (again, already on a switch, but could rewire to make them remote)

Looking at the available units, here is what I think I have figured out:
Pro Logic P4: 3 valves, 4 relays
Aqua Plus: according to Hayward tech: identical to P4 with added salt cell
Pro Logic PS4: 4 valves, 4 relays
Pro Logic PS8: 4 valves, 8 relays

1. Do you agree that P4 and Aqua Plus are identical controllers (price seems similar for P4+cell OR Aqua Plus)?
2. PS4 seems to be significantly more expensive than the P4 for just 1 added valve. What else is different?
3. Again PS8 is significantly more that the PS4. Is there more than just the 4 extra relays? Do I need that many (I know hard for YOU to answer for ME, but looking for advice :-D )?
4. Given that I think my pool is around 20k gallons ... is there an advantage to getting the 40k cell over the 25k cell?

Thanks for any info you can supply.

I have the PS-4. The main difference is the P4 has 4 relays, 3 valve, and no actuators. The PS-4 has 4 relays, 4 valve and 2 actuator outputs.

I currently control the filter, boost pump, water fall, and lights through my controller.

with 20K gallons you should be using the T-15 cell.

1) Essentially identical, not exactly identical. The actuators are included in some bundles but optional in others, so you may or may not be comparing equivalent prices.
2) The PS4 has slightly more flexible programming.
3) More relays. Many people end up wishing they had more relays, but you don't need them.
4) The larger cell will last longer, and end up costing less in the long run.

Thanks for the responses.

When you 2 are referring to the PS4 (possibly) including actuators ... are you talking about the valve controllers that are mounted to the valves or something internal to the controller?

I do see that the valve actuators typically run around $100 each, so that could be part of the $300 difference between the P4 and PS4.

Just thought of some other questions

1. Do ANY of these controllers already come with the transmitter/receiver for a remote or is that an add-on for them all?

2. Are all of them (P4/Aqua Plua/PS4) capable of adding the sense/dispense for the Ph? (I may be dreaming at this point).

Thanks.

I can tell you the receiver for the controller is extra......it mounts in the top left of the box area, it sjust snaps on and plugs in. I beleive its about a $100 option.

It does not appear that my ps-4 can sense/dispense Ph. I believe you will need the Aqua rite pro....

jhalpinjr said:
It does not appear that my ps-4 can sense/dispense Ph. I believe you will need the Aqua rite pro....

I think you must have an older model then. They now call the P4, PS4, etc the "Pro Logic" ... formally "Aqua Logic". I actually think all the Pro Logics and the Aqua Plus can do the sense/dispense now.

hmmmm not sure jblauert....it was just installed this year- the pool is new.
As far as I can tell the only options are for SWG........... It must be an add on to dispense Ph........This is my second unit as my previous pool at another location had the same.

I have the manual and can look through it and see what it says. Ether way I have found it very easy to lower my Ph as it seems natures constant rains in the afternoon help keep my Ph down. I never seem to have to add any thing to keep it in range.

Well, maybe I misread something. The sensors are obviously an add-on to the controller, and honestly, I am not sure I would ever justify the expense ... so probably a moot point.

Thanks for the info.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.