Grass getting into filter/Replacing filter cartridges

trclac

Jul 24, 2009
Houston
We have an approx 17,000 gallon in ground pool. Inevitably, despite best efforts, grass from the mower finds it's way into the pool. I try to remove it with the pole/net attachment, but the grass is often so fine that it passes through the net. The two skimmers obviously won't keep small blades of (a lot) of grass from making its way to the filter, which contains four, 4 ft cartridges.

Two questions:

Aside from removing the cartridges every month and cleaning them, is there any other way to clean the grass out of it?

Second, how often should the cartridges be replaced? We're now entering or third year using the same filter cartridges.

By the way, this is not a salt water pool.

Thanks for any advice! :cheers:

Skimmer socks will stop all that. I use queen size knee high hose in mine. Alot cheaper than the official "skimmer socks" at the pool store.
I use the queen size cause it's easier to put around my skimmer basket, not because I wear them :-D

trclac said:
Second, how often should the cartridges be replaced? We're now entering or third year using the same filter cartridges.

By the way, this is not a salt water pool.

Thanks for any advice! :cheers:

I guess when they start to come apart. Most people seem to have trouble with the little bands that hold the pleats together. Some have even hot glued them back together when they break.

It is time to replace a filter cartridge when either it gets a hole in the filter fabric, the core collapses, or the filter pressure after cleaning overnight in dishwasher detergent goes up by 6 psi over what it was when the filter was new.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.