Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Grass getting into filter/Replacing filter cartridges

1. Back To Top    #1

Grass getting into filter/Replacing filter cartridges

We have an approx 17,000 gallon in ground pool. Inevitably, despite best efforts, grass from the mower finds it's way into the pool. I try to remove it with the pole/net attachment, but the grass is often so fine that it passes through the net. The two skimmers obviously won't keep small blades of (a lot) of grass from making its way to the filter, which contains four, 4 ft cartridges.

Two questions:

Aside from removing the cartridges every month and cleaning them, is there any other way to clean the grass out of it?

Second, how often should the cartridges be replaced? We're now entering or third year using the same filter cartridges.

By the way, this is not a salt water pool.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Grass getting into filter/Replacing filter cartridges

Skimmer socks will stop all that. I use queen size knee high hose in mine. Alot cheaper than the official "skimmer socks" at the pool store.
    I use the queen size cause it's easier to put around my skimmer basket, not because I wear them
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by trclac
    Second, how often should the cartridges be replaced? We're now entering or third year using the same filter cartridges.

By the way, this is not a salt water pool.

Thanks for any advice!
    I guess when they start to come apart. Most people seem to have trouble with the little bands that hold the pleats together. Some have even hot glued them back together when they break.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

4. Back To Top    #4

Possibly consider bagging the lawn clippings around the pool area if you have one?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

+1 on the skimmer sock. My Pinch-a-Penny sells 4/$5, and they are more durable than Granma's knee-his!
    14'x30' (est. 14K gal) w/spillover spa (est. 500 gal) - 1995 // Diamond Brite Blue Quartz - 2006
    Hayward SwimPure Plus T-15 - 2013 // Zodiac MX-8 - 2013
    Plain ol' Intermatic mechanical timer // Pump: 1 HP Pentair SuperFlo - 2012
    Filter: Hayward C17502(S) Cartridge Filter - 2011 // Heat Pump: Sunrunner/Aquapro 1300 (127K BTU) - 2011

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks all. As for bagging, I do that, but clippings still make their way in, especially if I use the weed-eater near the pool. But my wife is on her way to get the stockings now.

7. Back To Top    #7

It is time to replace a filter cartridge when either it gets a hole in the filter fabric, the core collapses, or the filter pressure after cleaning overnight in dishwasher detergent goes up by 6 psi over what it was when the filter was new.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School