Bacquacil & algae

Sep 24, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
This was my second summer for bacquacil and I've had nothing but trouble the entire summer. I've dumped hundreds of $'s in chemicals and have had green water all summer long. Not until about a month ago was the algae noticable. I kept being told at the pool store that it was just green water, no really good explanation. My dilemma is this. I'm wanting to close the pool and just forget the whole thing till next summer. Do I need to get all the algae completely eliminated before closing it up and if so how do I do this since nothing so far has worked that the bacquacil dealers have sold me. I will not be using bacquacil next summer. Please help, tired and frustrated.
Sondra

Hi, Sondra,

Welcome to the forum.

It's certainly what works best for you but I would suggest thinking about converting to chlorine now.

1. You probably are finished swimming but the pool is open and easy to work on.

2. Next Spring, you'll be anxious to go swimming and the baquagoo conversion will be looking you in the face before you can do anything else to your pool.

If you decide to convert, there's plenty of really good help right here on the forum. We'll all pitch in and have your water sparkling next Spring.

hi Sondra,

I was in your shoes this time last year. In fact, I did close the pool and just forget the whole thing and then I had a big mess to look at on opening this year. I continued to fight the algae with Baquacil until last month when I switched, and I am SO glad I did!

Dave makes a good case for switching now, but I don't think letting it go will hurt anything either. If you wait, your Baquacil level might be reduced to the point where the conversion will go faster.

Then again, opening to a sparkling clean pool does have it's appeal. I am looking forward to that next year!

JMO, but I would go ahead now and convert to chlorine. I just did my conversion about a month ago. I also thought about waiting until next spring but my pool developed this awful smell so I decided to go ahead. I don't regret it and my pool is crystal clear.

I will be converting from bacquacil no matter what. My husband has talked to someone that has a salt water pool, and he is thinking about converting to that. Is there any advice on this. I had a chlorine pool for 2 years before going to bacquacil...changed because of green hair and lots of problems with stains on my fiberglass pool. I'm open for any suggestions at this point. Also what is the BBB I keep seeing people talk about? Thanks for any imput. All will be taken seriously. What is the first step in converting then before closing up for winter?

swhimsey said:
I will be converting from bacquacil no matter what. My husband has talked to someone that has a salt water pool, and he is thinking about converting to that. Is there any advice on this. I had a chlorine pool for 2 years before going to bacquacil...changed because of green hair and lots of problems with stains on my fiberglass pool. I'm open for any suggestions at this point. Also what is the BBB I keep seeing people talk about? Thanks for any imput. All will be taken seriously. What is the first step in converting then before closing up for winter?

Green hair is caused by using copper in the pool, not chlorine. If you stick with polyquat algaecide, you won't have green hair.

BBB stands for Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda. That's both overly simple and overly complex. You seldom need both Borax and Baking Soda, and many people need Muriatic Acid for lowering pH.

Check here for the full scoop
BBB

Using this method doesn't preclude you from a salt water system. Everything else is the same, you just use bleach for shocking only instead of normal chlorination.

BBB stands for bleach, borax, and baking soda. It is symbolic of an approach to pool care that uses inexpensive chemicals that you can buy at the grocery store (as much as possible), don't put in anything you don't need, and spend just a couple of minutes every day taking care of your pool in order to save money and have a beautiful pool. Almost all of the advice here is based on the BBB method, though we do try to adapt when people indicate that they are using other approaches. You can find more information about BBB in the Stickies section of the site, see the link in the sub-heading of each page.

Salt pools, we tend to call them SWG (salt water chlorine generator), are highly recommended. It costs slightly more but saves lots of work.

Green hair is from copper, not chlorine, which should be avoided in any pool.

The first step in the conversion is to stock up on bleach. You want unscented bleach (sometimes called original scent). Look around for a good price, often the discount stores are half the price of a grocery store. It is hard to predict how much you will need, but probably on the order of 40 gallons, but it can be signifcantly less or more depending on your pool size and baquacil level. You also want to get a good chlorine test kit. It needs to be able to measure FC and CC up to atl least 20. I highly recommend getting the full TF Test Kit, see the link in my signature, but any test kit with a FAS-DPD chlorine test will do.

The entire conversion will take from three days to three weeks, depending on your Baquacil level, how much attention you pay, and the water temperature. At the end you will need to replace your filter media (sand, DE & grids, or cartridge, depending on your filter). So you might need to order something for that.

Thanks for the quick replys. I believe I will try and start this conversion this weekend. I will be out of town in 3 weeks for 10 days, so hopefully I can get it done before then, with the help of my family.. I found the info. on BBB and it is very enlightening. Also, I do live in the country and have well water, and it tends to have metals in it quite often, so that explains the green hair, etc. I wonder why my local pool store never tells me this stuff? I will start buying bleach tonight. Thanks for your help!

The cheapest sources of bleach that I know of are Walmart and Aldi. Walmart sells 3/4 gallons of 6% Great Value bleach for $1.28, and the bigger jugs are even a better deal. Just make sure it says 6% sodium hypochlorite on the label. Some off brand stuff is as low as 2.75%. Aldi is cheaper than Walmart if there is one near you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Don't be surprised if you end up with stains after the conversion. I also have a fiberglass pool and use well water. If you get stains we can tell you how to get rid of them, but if you are going to close the pool after the conversion, I wouldn't bother with them. they often just disappear over the winter. If you have any questions plese ask. I do use the BBB method :)

Look at the dollar stores for Bleach. I've found 6% bleach 3/4 gallon for $1. Also Big Lots has 1 gallon Bleach for $1.30. It doesn't say the percentage, but it's 5.25% as per MSDS. It's made by Kem-Tek (who also makes Pool Chemicals) and have been using it for 3 months with great results.

http://www.kem-tek.com/index.html

click on Household Products and follow it to the MSDS for the Bleach items.

Congrats on the decision! A few tips from another country dweller who just went through it...

Keep an eye on the reagent (R-871) used for the chlorine testing as you go so you will be prepared if you need to order more. Mine was almost used up before I realized it and did not have time to get a refill before running out. That made it harder to get accurate readings during the tail end of my conversion.

If you can get liquid chlorine in refillable jugs, it is a good option because you will go through a lot of it. It may be different where you live, but for me trash disposal can be an issue. I was pleasantly surprised that my small town hardware store sold 10% sodium hypochlorite in the refillable 2.5 gallon jugs, so this was a much better option for me, and cheaper than 6% bleach! Especially when factoring in the extra 12 miles I would have to drive for bleach.

And in the "duh" department... wear ratty shirts while you are doing the chlorine dumping. Despite being careful, I still managed to ruin 3 shirts during my conversion.

SWG is the way to go once you do convert. I just got the cheap Intex SWG and it is so much better than dealing with bleach.

You need to use the Pool Calculator (link is in Jason's sig, higher in this thread) to calculate how much bleach to add. You need to bring it to 15ppm and then test every 3-5 hours or as often as possible, and keep topping off to keep it at 15ppm.

You may need to use the dilution method to calculate chlorine level until your TF Test kit comes in. Here is a post explaining how to do the dilution thing: http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewtopi ... 9399#19399

Take pictures if possible. You may not feel like you are making progress, but reviewing the pics each day will show the difference side by side as your water begins to clear!

Swhimsey,

Remember, this conversion is a process....not a one-dosage-of-chlorine event. To be successful and do the conversion quickly, you will need the ability to test for chlorine and know the gallonage in your pool and how to add chlorine (multiple times) to bring your chlorine up to a specific level. Jason's calc, a test kit, and the ability to use them are all pretty essential ingredients.

I too bit the bullet and converted my pool from Baquacil to chlorine just two weeks ago. Best thing I ever did for the pool. I got tired of the constant battle with algae and cloudy, smelly water. Ended up with crystal clear odorless water. The family couldn't believe it. I researched and researched..... and researched some more. I was amazed at how misinformed I was concerning chlorine. I guess that comes from the pool stores pushing Baquacil. :wink:

Believe me, you will be very happy after you convert it. :-D

BTW if you have a sand filter, make sure you change out the sand AFTER you convert and the water is clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.