Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Proper method of adding CYA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Proper method of adding CYA?

My pool is at 0 CYA. It's going to take 11 lbs of granulated CYA just to bring it to 30. I want to start by adding 5 lbs of CYA, check after a week, then go from there. My understanding is to put it in warm water, stir it around, remove strainer basket, and pour in, still in granulated form. Is this correct? 5 lbs into my sand filter isn't going to hurt anything, right?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Proper method of adding CYA?

From what I know (which is not much). You should put CYA into a Stocking or sock and hang it in front of a return. You can squeeze it every now and then to help with the dissolving...
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm still googling and reading up. Looks like this converastion can be the source of heated debate.

My returns are probably going to just push the sock away and let it hang against the side of the pool. I'm now considering putting the CYA in a sock and putting that into the skimmer basket, so as to not block up the pump basket.

I can't get the stuff to dissolve in a bucket of warm water like the instructions say.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I just put mine in socks and dangle in front of the return with a rope. You can tie the rope off to a chair or something. Squeezing them occassionally will help.
    Lynn

16x38 FG, 20,400G, 1HP/2sp Tristar pump, Hayward 425sq ft cart. filter, Pro Logic4, SWCG, 3 returns, 2 main drains, 1 skimmer, 4 Pentair deck jets, Hayward Phantom pressure cleaner/booster pump, TF-100 of course :-)orthofish-s-pool-build-finally-t13179.html

5. Back To Top    #5

I use an old T-shirt that I put in the skimmer and then add CYA to it. That usually gets it all dissolved overnight (I keep the pump running for this process). Note that I have floor drains and the skimmer has a bypass line into the pool which is important so that plugging up the skimmer doesn't cause any problems.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

I have the same, a floor drain and a bypass, so I should be good. It seems to be dissolving pretty quickly. It has taken the pressure in the filter up pretty high, will that go down as it dissolves in the filter or am I stuck with it? I certainly don't want to backwash after getting it in there!

7. Back To Top    #7

Adding CYA can sometimes have a temporary effect on the filter pressure. Most likely it will come down by tomorrow.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Great news! Thanks!