Ecostar Controller in depth questions

jhalpinjr

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2011
Warner Robins, GA
Hi all,

I have read quite a few of the Ecostar topics but havent seen anything in regards to this. I currently have a 1HP Super Pump. I have the Ecostar on order and would like to know more about the information the controller can display.

Primarily in regards to water flow. Can the pump controller display GPM? I would like to hope the software would allow you to input total pool capacity in gallons and the display be able to show you the amount of water at any given speed passing through the pump. In this way it would very easy to determine the amount of turn overs in my pool.

Does this pump have this capability? I always seem to find myself having to use some type of charts and such. I seen a link here in these forums to a excel spread sheet but cant seem to get the file.

Also does anyone control this pump with a Aqua Logic control system? - Are there any cons to this?

Thanks all

- Jim

No the EcoStar does not display GPM, nor can it be setup to maintain a constant GPM nor can it be setup to pump a fixed amount of water. Those are all features that are unique to the IntelliFlo VF.

The EcoStar allows you to set the pump speed in RPM and does display amps and watts being used currently. Using this information it is possible to calculate approximate GPM, but it takes a spreadsheet with some fairly complex math in it. Look at this post for the most recent spreadsheet.

The EcoStar integrates very nicely with the newer revisions of the AquaLogic controller.

Thanx Jason-

I downloaded the spreadsheet-woah...lol heavy stuff I like it. I will use this sheet!!! Thanks!

I still would hope to see a software upgrade to accomplish this data on the controller- lol but seems unlikely. Heck I have been waiting for a software update on the AquaLogic for the horrible weekend/weekday timers that was suppossedly coming the last time I talked to hayward. Heres to Hoping!

That is correct although in reality it is calculating the required RPM from the user GPM input and measured watts. That is why it takes a bit of time when changing GPM while the unit hunts for the correct RPM.

Hi all - my ecostar is being installed today (while I am away at work- kind of nervous, wanted to watch lol)
Anyways- Does anyone have theres tied into a Goldline Controls Aqua Logic unit? That is the way they are doing mine.

According to the PB this is their FIRST Ecostar install and FIRST integration into AquaLogic. Is there anything I should be aware of?

Thank you all

The EcoStar is new this season. There are a lot of people getting their first taste of the system right about now. No special problems have been reported yet, but it is still early days.

It should all be fairly straight forward. The only challenging part is figuring out the correct speeds to use in each situation. Fortunately, you don't need to get that right just at first. Getting the speeds right is mostly about saving electricity. Everything should still work even if they are fairly far off, it will just cost more.

Well the pump is installed. I came home to a seriously loud noise coming from the back yard. Water was leaking from the top air release on the filter (Hayward 210S) and a leak at a PVC elbow. It sounded like rocks were smashing around in the filter. The PSI gauge on the filter was almost 50 PSI. They didn't leave a manual but through my Aqua Logic I finally was able to lower the pump speed to bring the pressure on the filter back to around 15psi.

I still have no clue how to program the Aqualogic to vary the speed, I can only seem to run it a a set speed.

So I have some items to attend to but atleast its installed finally.

I will submit some pics, do we have to host them at a site like photobucket and link them here?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.