Opening the pool. Results are as follows:

FC- 0
    CC - 0
    TC - 0
    pH - 8.2
    T/A - 40
    CH - 140
    CYA - 20

I have a general understanding of the chemicals, but I'm not clear on how to lower my ph without raising TA. I've got the muriatic acid to add and the baking soda, but I'm not clear as to what to do when. I added the acid and it brought the ph down to normal levels, then I added bs to raise the TA, and it didn't change the TA at all, but sent the pH back up to 8.2. Not sure what to do now. Sorry, I'm a newbie at this.
    29,000 Gal
    Sand
    IG / Vinyl
    1.75 hp pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High PH / Low Alkalinity battle

What are you using for chlorine?

What is the water temperature?

3. Back To Top    #3

Bring your pH down to 7.2 then add more Baking Soda to go up 10 ppm at a time. Rinse and repeat until you get your TA to where you want it. Go slow - no larger than steps of 10ppm and adjust your measurements if neede
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Adding acid lowers PH a lot and TA just a little. Adding baking soda raises PH just a little and TA a lot. Between the two of them you should be able to get everything just where you need it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Using liquid bleach for chlorine. Haven't added any yet, as it was my understanding that I needed to get the ph in line before I did so.

Water temp is 68.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm on the right track, just need to continue the process.

Should I add chlorine now, or wait for the pH and TA to be in line?
    29,000 Gal
    Sand
    IG / Vinyl
    1.75 hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

After you get your pH down by following the advice above, get some chlorine in your pool PRONTO!

EDIT: I wrote this without seeing your post.....looks like we're on the same page.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

what are you using for your test results?
    Garden Leisure Voyager 12x24 AGP, 7500 Gallons, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1 HP pump, dual speed, Hayward XStream Cartridge Filter, 120 GPM,

8. Back To Top    #8

Using TF Test kit and Taylor
    29,000 Gal
    Sand
    IG / Vinyl
    1.75 hp pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Unless you know that the pH in the pool tends to be stable at a higher TA level, I wouldn't raise the TA too much -- not more than a TA target of 80 ppm assuming you're using chlorinating liquid or bleach. It's very easy to raise TA by adding baking soda, but lowering TA takes longer due to the aeration process which is not fast, especially at lower TA levels.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

10. Back To Top    #10

Exactly what do you recommend using to lower pH? I used "pH Down" from Aqua Chem according to directions, and it had absolutely no effect. It says the active ingredient is Sodium Bisulfate.
    16' x 32' in-ground pool, approx 24000 gallons, Hayward S244T sand filter, 1 HP pump, Vinyl liner

11. Back To Top    #11

Normally muriatic acid is the best thing to use to lower PH, but sodium bisulfate, which we call dry acid, is fine to use also.

If the PH is constantly going up in your pool, which can be happing for a couple of different reasons, it might seem like adding PH Down has no effect, which you have actually kept the PH from going up.

If you post a full set of water test results, we can give you a better idea of what might be happening.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School