above ground pool on thick sloping slab

Mar 27, 2011
I am planning on installing a samoan 24 foot above ground pool on the patio of my walkout basement. My original plan was to tear out the exsiting slab and partially bury the pool, and then pour a new slab around the pool. I discovered today that the entrie 920 square foot slab is over one foot thick. So me tearing it out with my small backhoe is not feasible. The slab where the pool will go slopes 3 inches over the 24 foot radius. I am leaning towards a 2' concrete disc (23' inside radius and 25' outside radius) about 2" thick at the high side and 5" thick at the low side. The form work may be a little chalenging but I can do it. I would then fill and compact the inside of the disc with fill. How big is the overall dimension of a 24' pool including the uprights?
This is in central nebraska no codes, hoa, or people to tell me what I can or cant do.
I am a carpenter by trade but this will be my first real pool (had a couple of 14' intex installed on this same spot but the slope wasn't as radicall with the smaller radius).
Any suggestions for a easier but solid way would be greatly appreciated.
Can anyone comment on a samoan pool or sandman filter/pump.
Thank you

The concrete disc is a good plan but, like you say, the form work may be a challenge and the finished edge will need some attention.

Because of your carpentry skills, I might be tempted to assemble a similar "disc" using synthetic decking material (on edge) or perhaps even PT lumber. (or both to get some rigidity!) You could make it as multi-sided (8 sides, 12 sides, etc.) as you wish and scribe it to the contour of the existing concrete.

You could perhaps even extend it somewhat beyond the pool wall and fill in with some decorative gravel.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.