Recommendation and installation of Automatic Chlorinator

Apr 27, 2011
Myrtle Beach, SC
We just got our AG pool installed last year and before starting things up again I would like to add an automatic chlorinator. Right now its all plumbed with hoses. So I am wondering should I stick with that configuration or at the minimum hard plumb the return side where the chlorinator will go. I saw this one site that shows the Rainbow 320 installed -- but it has the inflow/outflow on the same pipe http://www.lakesidepoolssa.com/uploads/CIMG0366_system_large.JPG -- is that ok to do -- I would think that it would need a check valve somewhere or the chlorine would go back into the filter -- no ??? Beyond that -- I see that this is not free standing -- is there one with a base that would be better? And if so is there another base similar to what the filter/pump rest on that it could be mounted to. I saw another type that uses hoses the PerformMax http://www.kingtechnology.com/pdf/manuals/Manual-PerformMax.pdf and could be mounted directly to the filter. Thoughts on this one? I just don't know which way to go.
Thanks

Welcome to TFP.

You won't get many recommendations for installing a tablet feeder here of any type. They create more problems than they solve.

In your stiuation I'd recommend either an Aqua-Trol RJ swcg, a Liquidator liquid chlorine feeder, or a liquid chlorine injection pump.

What size and type of pool is it?
Can you post a pic of it?

Thanks for the quick reply. Its a 21' AGP -- I forget who the manufacturer was -- I am thinking it was Atlantic. Below is the only pic I have handy. Just out of curiosity what problems do they cause.[attachment=0:cjva1luo]photo.JPG[/attachment:cjva1luo]

As Robbie said, they add CYA and that causes a problem unless you're willing to partially drain and refill at regular intervals.

I see what looks like a light in your return. That creates a bit if a problem for the RJ model of the Aqua-Trol so if you are interested in that approach look at the HP model.

Yes I do have a light in the return. These Aqua-Trols -- are lot more expensive than the inline chlorinators. Though it appears to make that up in not needing chlorine and power savings. Right? Also -what is the liquid chlorine injection pump -- I am assuming that is your Stenner 45MHP2(3GPD) Peristaltic Pump? How does that work and what is the price point on it?
Thanks again!

The swcg's (i.e. Aqua-Trol, etc.) don't require constant addition of chlorine. You add salt once and just keep it topped up a few times a year and it generates chlorine from the salt then turns back into salt as it's used up.

The Peristaltic pump is my injection pump and it was $259 and $20 for the tank. You can also look at the Liquidator. I had one before the pump and it works great. It's about $200. Of course you can always just manually dose it with bleach or liquid chlorine (the same thing really) every couple of days.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.