Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommendation and installation of Automatic Chlorinator

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommendation and installation of Automatic Chlorinator

We just got our AG pool installed last year and before starting things up again I would like to add an automatic chlorinator. Right now its all plumbed with hoses. So I am wondering should I stick with that configuration or at the minimum hard plumb the return side where the chlorinator will go. I saw this one site that shows the Rainbow 320 installed -- but it has the inflow/outflow on the same pipe http://www.lakesidepoolssa.com/uploa...stem_large.JPG -- is that ok to do -- I would think that it would need a check valve somewhere or the chlorine would go back into the filter -- no ??? Beyond that -- I see that this is not free standing -- is there one with a base that would be better? And if so is there another base similar to what the filter/pump rest on that it could be mounted to. I saw another type that uses hoses the PerformMax http://www.kingtechnology.com/pdf/ma...PerformMax.pdf and could be mounted directly to the filter. Thoughts on this one? I just don't know which way to go.
    Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommendation and installation of Automatic Chlorinator

Welcome to TFP.

You won't get many recommendations for installing a tablet feeder here of any type. They create more problems than they solve.

In your stiuation I'd recommend either an Aqua-Trol RJ swcg, a Liquidator liquid chlorine feeder, or a liquid chlorine injection pump.

What size and type of pool is it?
    Can you post a pic of it?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the quick reply. Its a 21' AGP -- I forget who the manufacturer was -- I am thinking it was Atlantic. Below is the only pic I have handy. Just out of curiosity what problems do they cause.[attachment=0:cjva1luo]photo.JPG[/attachment:cjva1luo]

4. Back To Top    #4

Using strictly tablets will cause CYA to be too high, making the required FC too high and your shock level astronomical.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

As Robbie said, they add CYA and that causes a problem unless you're willing to partially drain and refill at regular intervals.

I see what looks like a light in your return. That creates a bit if a problem for the RJ model of the Aqua-Trol so if you are interested in that approach look at the HP model.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes I do have a light in the return. These Aqua-Trols -- are lot more expensive than the inline chlorinators. Though it appears to make that up in not needing chlorine and power savings. Right? Also -what is the liquid chlorine injection pump -- I am assuming that is your Stenner 45MHP2(3GPD) Peristaltic Pump? How does that work and what is the price point on it?
    Thanks again!

7. Back To Top    #7

The swcg's (i.e. Aqua-Trol, etc.) don't require constant addition of chlorine. You add salt once and just keep it topped up a few times a year and it generates chlorine from the salt then turns back into salt as it's used up.

The Peristaltic pump is my injection pump and it was $259 and $20 for the tank. You can also look at the Liquidator. I had one before the pump and it works great. It's about $200. Of course you can always just manually dose it with bleach or liquid chlorine (the same thing really) every couple of days.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

One final question on the Aqua-Trol -- does the pool have a 'salt-water' taste to it?
    Thanks again for all your great advice
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

Most people can taste a very slight salt taste at standard SWG levels, though not everyone can. Different people detect salt at various levels. It is nothing like ocean water.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School