EasyTouch concepts & settings

leered

Mar 16, 2011
Hello,

I need help configuring a Pentair ET4 + IC40 + VS3050. The Pentair manual ….. Let’s not even go there!

Here is what I have and where I’m at:

Pool (34k gal single body, spa 2 pool spillway) is running in service mode ( Intelliflo4 COM cable disconnected at the pump).
I can manually turn on/off the Heater, pool lights and patio lights.

I need help understanding some Pentair concepts:
CIRCUIT NAME = what is it / purpose = ?
CIRCUIT TYPE = What is it /purpose = ?
SPILWAY = is this circuit name referring to a spa-pool combination (that’s what I have)
VALVE = what is it/ purpose = ?

I have spent a couple of hours by the ET going through settings and creating circuit names but the hardest time I have with ACTUATORS.
The ET has only 2 valves listed under VALVES option and I have 3 valves with ACTUATORS .

Here are my settings:

======CIRCUIT NAMES=======
1/10=Circuit: SPA[SPA]
2/10=Circuit: POOL[POOL]
3/10=Circuit: AUX1[POOL LIGHT] Note ( using 1 relay for Pool& Spa lights)
4/10=Circuit: AUX2[DECK LIGHT]
5/10=Circuit: AUX3[AUX3] Note: left avail in case I decide to use the last relay to separate Spa light form Pool light or other setting needs
6/10=Circuit: AUX4[CHLORINATOR] Question- Do I need to assign a circuit to IC40?
7/10=Circuit: AUX5[HIGH SPEED]
8/10=Circuit: AUX6[LOW SPEED]
9/10=Circuit: AUX7[HI-TEMP]
10/10=Circuit: AUXX[LO-TEMP]

=====CIRCUIT TYPES=======
[SPA]=[SPA]
[POOL]=POOL
[POOL LIGHT] =INTELLIBRITE <-I thought this is correct if I want to be able to turn on and change colors too.
[DECK LIGHT] =GENERIC

====VALVES===========
A:[SPA]
B:[POOL]

=====INTELLIFLO4=======
1 RPM=750 CIRCUIT=[FREEZE]
2.RPM=1500 CIRCUIT=[POOL]
3.RPM=2350 CIRCUIT=[SPA]
4.RPM=3110 CIRCUIT=[NONE] Note: maybe this can be set to CHLORINATOR and used for SUPERCLORINATING the pool.

=====HEAT==============
POOL=[NO HEAT]
HEAT=[NONE]

SPA=100F
HEAT=[HEATER]

Hardware connections:
Actuators are connected to the INTAKE, RETURN, VALVEA connectors on the ET motherboard. However, I am not sure to what connector on the ET mobo each one goes to. Is there a way to activate them manually from the ET panel?

IC40 is connected to first relay ( activated by Filter Pump button), Intelliflo4 is powered from the breaker ( always on,flip breaker to turn off) and is using the COM cable to communicate with the ET. Pool & Spa lights are connected to the AUX relay. Patio lights are connected to AUX2 relay. I still have one relay available ( if needed).

All I need is to program ET to rotate valves from Pool to Spa and back, turn on lights at set times ( and off after a few hours) or with the
Wireless control panel. Set heater temp and make sure it only starts automatically on SPA mode. Heater should be available for heating In Pool mode , when/as needed. Water should flow from Spa to Pool (waterfall).

Am I on the right track here? I inlcuded some pics jus tot you can better understand my setup. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Lee

Attachments

• EquipmentPlumbingLabels_04-28-11.jpg
    EquipmentPlumbingLabels_04-28-11.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 447
  • ET_Mobo.jpg
    ET_Mobo.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 445
It often takes a little while to figure out how their system works. Once you get the hang of it, it isn't so bad.

Most things you might want to be able to control are circuits. They kind of imply that circuits correspond to relays, but circuits really mean the things you want to be able to control that the ET doesn't already have built-in. A few things you want to control are built-in, like the basic pool/spa controls, but most things end up being circuit.

Circuit type lets you give the circuit a special meaning that hooks into some special feature/knowledge the unit has for that kind of thing. For example a relay controlling a booster pump should have some special interlocks so it only runs while the main pump is running. If you set the circuit type to cleaner the ET knows to apply the special rules it has for cleaners, like making sure the main pump is running.

The IntelliChlor doesn't get a circuit. It is another one that the ET knows about already, so it's behavior is just assumed once it is connected.

You have three automated valves that I can see. VA1 controls pool vs spa suction, attach to intake. VA2 controls pool vs spa return, attach to return. VA3 controls spa jets vs spa returns, attache to VALVEA. VA1 and VA2 are the standard pool/spa suction and return valves that the ET is expecting and already knows about. VA3 needs to be setup specially as this is not part of a stock setup.

I have an ET and once I figured it out everything works well and it's easy to operate. I also have three value actuators (pool, spa, and one for two water features) and was confused as you are on the setup. I called Pentair's customer service a few times and they were very helpful. They can walk you through the programming steps. The number is in the manual.

Thanks JasonLion!

I forgot to mention that I don't have any booster pumps ( even though the pic says it all :) and my cleaner will be attached to the skimmer , through a Y connector ( another one to research as I didn't seem to find the part online... maybe because I don't know how it is actually called!).

Considering what I am trying to do, do I have the correct CIRCUITS created?

I was expecting to see all 4 values, the unit actually suports,- when looking at VALVE options/settings!
So I'l ltake it that INTAKE = SPA, RETURN = POOL, then I have VALVE A and VALVE B as optional.

In other words, am I good with current settings for valve actuators VA1 & VA2? If so, how do I configure VA3 ?
Do I have to create a new CIRCUIT? Is VALVE A an option when assigning a CIRCUIT NAME ? I don't remember seeing INTAKE,RETURN, VAVE A,VALVE B as circuit names... Am I trying to configure the actuators in the wrong place ( in the menu)?

I think that if will understand ACTUATORS/VALVES I will understand it all ! :)

Please try to write down the configuration for valves as it applies to my setup. I can't believe I can't figure it out!

Thanks,

Lee

Right, you should be fine with VA1 and VA2. For VA3 you do indeed define a circuit, then you go to the Valves setup menu and assign the valve to that circuit. Then, any time that circuit is "off" the valve will be in it's default position, and any time it is "on" it will move the valve to the opposite position.

Aparently, I have an EZTCH-4P motherboard, which means single body of water (in my case Pool only), This means that INTAKE & RETURN are disabled (per Pentair support). What I do not understand is why are the valve actuators actualy powered if the functionality is disabled. Long story short, I have to get a new mobo!:) However, before going for the easy solution ( not so easy on the pocket though) I want to try to flash the mobo I have with a newer firmware, one for a standard ET4. All the mobo needed hardware exists on this mobo so.... this should solve the problem.

I found the firmware on Pentair's website ( http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/resources/downloads/firmware.htm ) Does anyone know what programmer I need to use? Here is what Pentair says on their website:
"For this to work you must have a P&E Micro flash programmer connected to the circuit board and also connected to your laptop computer. You must also have the flash programmer software program installed on your computer (comes on a CDROM with the flash programmer)."

What I don't know is what type of P&E Micro flash programmer do I need? I would appreciate if someone would send me a link or post some details on the programmer that will work with Pentair's interface. Also, where on the mobo is the programming port?
Here is what I found about the P&E programmers: http://www.pemicro.com/products/product_processor.cfm?category=11

Thanks in advance for the help!

Lee

I believe that the firmware programmer bundled with the required cables is pentair part 520965. Only a Pentair qualified service technician would tend to have one. You can buy the programmer from P&E, but the required cables don't come with it and Pentair doesn't publish the specs for the cables. You might be able to get a Pentair qualified tech to do the firmware upgrade for you, though many of them won't unless it is a paid service call or authorized warranty service.

I think there is more to it then just that.
Otherwise we would be buying the cheaper model, and just flashing it.
Word would have gotten out about that by now.

You can use it for a pool/spa combination, but you cant use your third valve, unless you hook up another relay to control it.
It doesn't have all the same functionality of the Pool/spa unit.
Just move your Suction, and Return VA to A, and B
Then call A, and B "Spa"
Then when you activate spa, both will turn and turn on your spa.
No spillway though.

Good point Just -a-PB! :)
I do have one relay available ( I am using only 3 out of 4 relays). Will that allow me to control/automate the 3-rd valve? Even if I wouldn't have one, it would be cheaper to buy a relay instead of upgrading the mobo!

Thanks!

Lee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had another thought for you.
Purchase a "Jandy relay splitter" $30 to $40. Just Google it.
This alows you to plug in two relays to one socket.
Then you can make "A" spa with the splitter, and control both suction and return for the spa, and "B" jets, without a lot of headaches.

Thanks Just-a-PB!

Pentair charges about $500 or more for their ET programmer so it makes more sense to buy the motherboard you need on the first place! I hwas hoping to find an aftermarket version of the prorgammer! :)

Anyway, I like the relay splitter idea even better! :)

I found one here: http://www.westsidewholesale.com/relay-splitter-kit.html
Please confirm this is the part you suggested ( on other sites the item looked different. This one seem to be the right one based on the connectors that seem to match the actuator connectors)!

I assume the 2 connectors on the Jandy relay splitter will take 2 actuators. To make sure I understand how this would work: I plug the Jandy conector in VALVE A actuator port of the ET4 and plug 2 of the actuator plugs into the Jandy spliter ports, correct? I didn't see any power adapter for it so I woudl assume it powers itself from the ET4 actuator port. Correct?

Thanks!

Lee

Thanks for confirming! I'll give it a try and post back.

By the way, I checked the ET and here is what I have:

Software revision:2.010
Bootloader revision 1.010

I still don't think the whole "single body of water" story makes sense. First of al the actuators are getting power when connected to the RETURN/INTAKE even though the connectors ( their funtionality) should be disabled. Also, why do I still have mulitple options on the menu: POOL, SPA, DRAIN/FILL if it is supposed to control only one "body of water"?

Thanks,
Lee

Just-a-PB,

I just realized that the ports & wired connector on that board have only 2 pins while the actuators have 3 pins. I would think this will prevent me from using this option.

Do you happen to know if re-flashing the mobo will solve the issue: can the ET be converted from a "single body of water " to a "Pool & Spa combination" by updating the firmware? If so, I need to know more about pentair's programmer...

Thanks,

Lee

What about using this http://www.westsidewholesale.com/jva-auxiliary-relay-board.html ?

You could create a feature using one of the Aux relay ports along with Valve A - so any time that feature is turned on Vlave A does it's thing and the Aux port trips this thing to which you cn connect a valve actuator. Or at leas tthat's what it seems like it could do... :?:

I don't think it's going to work ( the more wires it has the more stuff you need to improvise...) The Jandy splitter looked very much like an actuator splitter and had no power needs... I was hoping I could use a free relay but I didn't find anything on that...

Thanks!
Lee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.