Some help from those who know about gunite pool construction

jaydar

Mar 30, 2011
So far I've found Trouble Free Pool to be very helpful...but now I have a bizarre ..if not ludicrous couple of questions.

My pool is an L shaped 24'x18' x 9' wide both sides of the L.

It is too small....pool co. sucked and I thought I was getting 12' wide and 5' further out from lanai.So I have a narrow 20" pathway deck around the pool.

I've noticed with the L shape...robotic cleaner is not great at getting eveything clean.

My 1st question is.....can this pool be lifted by crane and moved further out?
2nd question is....can this pool be altered...as in I'd like a wider ,longer and deeper pool that I can dive in.Can the pool be cut to eliminate the L and transformed into a larger Rectangle?

I realize that more excavation would be needed as well as rigging for the lift...but I'm also wondering if this can be done and also raise the walls to make it deeper..and perhaps elevate the whole pool to above the water table here in sw florida.
I know this will be an expense....but wondering if it could be done for less instead of busting up the existing pool and starting from scratch?

Re: Some help from those who know about gunite pool construc

Anything is possible BUT, Just from a construction standpoint it's most likely easier to demo and start over. It's probably a wash on the cost too.

I do not think it can be moved... Bama is correct, the best bet is to demo and start fresh. I am not sure that they could add on, but could be mistaken. Either option is going to be quite a job and expense.

To lift it and have any chance of not destroying it, you'd have to excavate underneath to get lifting straps around the entire thing in several places. You'd need to make a steel i-beam frame above it to distribute the weight evenly to prevent the walls from being crushed inward by the force There'd still be no guarantee it wouldn't fall apart, then resetting it on an even, stable foundation would be next to impossible. Most importantly, it would cost about a bazillion dollars. Maybe two bazillion if there are any complications. I'm sure someone has done something similar at some time, but you probably don't want to even consider it. I'm with everyone else -- a demo/rebuild would be much easier/practical.

You could probably demo 2 sides and re-construct the other 2 sides to your "wanted" specs, but I would suggest you make sure exactly what you want and stick with it this time. It's going to be a LOT of effort to get all that concrete busted and hauled away for the next try. I wish you the best of luck. I'm sorry that you didn't catch it prior to construction. I well know how things sometimes don't go the way you want and compromise is sometimes the only option and compromising with the builder's side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.