Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Some help from those who know about gunite pool construction

1. Back To Top    #1

Some help from those who know about gunite pool construction

So far I've found Trouble Free Pool to be very helpful...but now I have a bizarre ..if not ludicrous couple of questions.

My pool is an L shaped 24'x18' x 9' wide both sides of the L.

It is too small....pool co. sucked and I thought I was getting 12' wide and 5' further out from lanai.So I have a narrow 20" pathway deck around the pool.

I've noticed with the L shape...robotic cleaner is not great at getting eveything clean.

My 1st question is.....can this pool be lifted by crane and moved further out?
    2nd question is....can this pool be in I'd like a wider ,longer and deeper pool that I can dive in.Can the pool be cut to eliminate the L and transformed into a larger Rectangle?

I realize that more excavation would be needed as well as rigging for the lift...but I'm also wondering if this can be done and also raise the walls to make it deeper..and perhaps elevate the whole pool to above the water table here in sw florida.
    I know this will be an expense....but wondering if it could be done for less instead of busting up the existing pool and starting from scratch?
    11000 gal L shaped gunite pool with and aggragate plaster
    Pentair cartridge filtration with 1.5 hp pump
    only have 3 returns and one dedicated vacuum line
    manifold to pump is three valve

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Some help from those who know about gunite pool construc

Anything is possible BUT, Just from a construction standpoint it's most likely easier to demo and start over. It's probably a wash on the cost too.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

near the swamp

sounds like you want an entirely new pool lol

4. Back To Top    #4

Calera, Al

I do not think it can be moved... Bama is correct, the best bet is to demo and start fresh. I am not sure that they could add on, but could be mistaken. Either option is going to be quite a job and expense.
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Sicklerville, NJ

To lift it and have any chance of not destroying it, you'd have to excavate underneath to get lifting straps around the entire thing in several places. You'd need to make a steel i-beam frame above it to distribute the weight evenly to prevent the walls from being crushed inward by the force There'd still be no guarantee it wouldn't fall apart, then resetting it on an even, stable foundation would be next to impossible. Most importantly, it would cost about a bazillion dollars. Maybe two bazillion if there are any complications. I'm sure someone has done something similar at some time, but you probably don't want to even consider it. I'm with everyone else -- a demo/rebuild would be much easier/practical.
    25k gal Lazy-L, vinyl liner, poly walls, swimout spa, diving board, TurboTwister slide.
    Hayward 2HP 2-spd pump, Pentair 2HP spa pump, Hayward 30" 500lb sand filter.
    Goldline Pro Logic PS-8 automation/SWG. 2 LED ColorLogic 4.0. 8 Jandy deck jets. MX-8 cleaner.

6. Back To Top    #6
    Mount Airy, Maryland

You could probably demo 2 sides and re-construct the other 2 sides to your "wanted" specs, but I would suggest you make sure exactly what you want and stick with it this time. It's going to be a LOT of effort to get all that concrete busted and hauled away for the next try. I wish you the best of luck. I'm sorry that you didn't catch it prior to construction. I well know how things sometimes don't go the way you want and compromise is sometimes the only option and compromising with the builder's side.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit