Did the Duoclear Nature 2 cartridge change?

benj

Apr 27, 2011
My aunt has a Duoclear 35 system & has been changing her mineral cartridges as they say to. She has been getting them online with no problem. But the latest one she got looks different at the top. All the previous ones have been a yellow top that sort of looks like a hat. This latest one has a top that's gray & has no domed top. It has 4 prongs along the edge but is not like the electrode where the prongs are inside the top. The new cartridge looks identical to the old one except for the top. There is a code on the bottom of the thing W17020REV8 or B (can't tell about that last digit). Has anyone any idea what she got- is it a new design or a defective made one.

Thanks for the replies. She sent me a picture & it looks like there are tabs on the top of the cartridge. It could be that when they made them the tabs didn't snap off because without the tabs it looks ok. Anyway, Zodiac is sedning her a replacement cartridge & a return shipping label for the weird one. That will be easier for her than figuring out what was going on with the one she had.

As for not using the Nature 2 cartridge, how does the system work without it? I thought the mineral cartridge & salt worked with the electrode to make the chlorine. I have had some slight staining issues so I'd be interested in hearing other experiences & what changes you made.

Thanks!

The mineral cartridge and the SWG side have nothing to do with each other. The electrodes work with salt in the water to make chlorine. The "mineral" cartridge adds copper, which is unrelated and can cause stains or green hair.

benj said:
Seems like it is just to make Zodiac money then.
Yup. Copper ions will inhibit algae growth while the combination of silver and copper kill pathogens, though more slowly than chlorine, so in theory would let one operate at a somewhat lower FC/CYA ratio, but at the risk of staining. Since chlorine alone can inhibit algae and quickly kill pathogens if one has an FC at the appropriate level relative to the CYA level, then there's really no need for metal ions, algaecides, clarifiers, or other such products in a pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.